Audi Forums banner

Bodywork / Door Trim

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  fletch_uk 
#1 ·
I am a new audi owner, having recently brought a 1999 A4 1.9tdi 110.

I looked at many cars before my purchase and all seemed to have a common problem with the black rubber trim along the bottom of the door not seeming to fit properly.

Most of the trim along the main part of the door seems ok, but it doesn't seem to sit flush against the metal at the hinged end of the door.

I'm sure many people have noticed it, but has anyone found the source of the problem? Is it likely the've been removed and not fitted properly, or a damaged fixing point, or even corrosion underneath pushing the trim forward?

I'd be interested to know if anyone has removed the trim and found out what the problem seems to be??

Gary

#2 ·
Its where the water runs down the car and wells up behind the rubber strips. They rust an fall off on pretty much every b5 a4. Ive removed them an refitted them, which worked for a bit but then they started coming off again. Im gonna get rid of mine and put some subtle sideskirts on.

#7 ·
i also had same prob with black trim on drivers door and passenger door,
i replaced both just yesterday and they are £21 inc vat from main dealers, not too expensive and makes car look a lot better.
the main prob is the trim has a steel inner which rusts and pushes the rubber away from the body and also as time goes on the rubber actually shrinks away from body making it look like its been fitted incorrectly.

there very easy to replace but before putting new ones on make sure u put plenty of grease on tim aswel as on the clips on the car and it will slow down future rusting.

hope this helps:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.