Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you either love them or hate them, and I don't particularly wish to know which one, but.....

...Does the B5 2.7TT engine/ecu have any trouble with vent to atmosphere BOVs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, they do have problems with your typical BOV. But, if you use an adjustable combo valve...you can get the sound...with the boost pressure you need. I've heard the HKS SSQV valves are good. I've got EVO MS ones right now....I wanna switch. Not enough sound. lol

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i do not recommend BOV

The Audi turbo system is a closed loop system by which all unused boost that is spooled during off throttle and gear shifts must be re-routed within the system; it cannot be vented to the atmosphere due to the dependence on the MAF and ECU to properly read and interpret air flow dynamics within the intake tract. Therefore BOV's (Blow-Off Valves) are not used because they create a rich air/fuel condition (i.e. less air to fuel ratio) which will damage the catalytic converter, create soot on the exhaust pipes, and cause occasional misfiring (due to the purged air) which will result in ECU miscalculated timing adjustments and other errors.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Cheers for that technical info AllWheelGrip.I was going to get one fitted on mine as i like the sound and people know its a turbo coming down the road but now you have told me that i think i wont.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
how about intake systems, u can hear the turbo spool out of that, u don't need a BOV to hear a turbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts