Audi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum so I hope I have posted int he right place. This looks to be a very helpful forum :beer:

I have just got myself an A4 Avant 03 plate 2.0.
It's a lovely car and is as new, anyhow-the car only came with 1 key, so I browsed Ebay other night and won an auction for a blank key (ready to be cut) with 3 button remote (ready to be programmed).

Can I presume this can be cut at a good locksmiths or at a dealer?
Also will it have to be re programmed by an Audi dealer or can it be done without somehow?
lastly how much is it approx to get the key cut and re programmed?

Many thanks in advance.

Si :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi. Glad you have bought an Audi, they are fantastic cars. I have an Audi A3, so my experience with remote fobs could help you. My A3 came with only one remote, which my wife dropped and broke the remote locking part. So I too went on Ebay to find a replacement as Audi want silly money to supply an extra key.

Firstly the Audi fob comes in two parts. The bit with the key also has an immobiliser chip in it and this chip will have to be programmed by Audi who will need to insert the key in their machine and phone Germany to get the correct code downloaded. For some reason my local Audi garage seem unable to code up anything but a new blank Audi fob. I bought several Audi A3 remote fobs and all the secondhand ones could not be coded.

The other part of the Audi fob is the bit that does the remote locking.unlocking and setting the alarm. It will have a number on it, seen when you prise the two parts of the key apart and you have to have a fob with exactly that code on it. No other code will do. Even then, with a secondhand fob my Audi garage are unable to recode the fob.

All in all, I found secondhand Audi fobs to be absolutely useless. However I did buy an unused fob off Ebay and my Audi garage got it to work. I seem to remember that they took nearly an hour to do it and charged me £60.00

Hope this helps.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Well I'll give it a go with this key-it's worth a try-I have just noticed its more of a slimmer shape to my current key-I think it's the new shape so it may not work at all. I'll see how I get on with the dealer and keep you posted-Be great if it was straight foward and worked, but it doesn't normally go like that!

Si
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I too bought a blank A4 key fob off Ebay. I managed it get it cut yesterday by cloning it off the original. Not all locksmiths do this (not here in Dublin anyway !!). I had to do a little searching to get one that did. It only cost €19.00 (£13.00) to have the key cut. So I tried it in the car and it opens the doors and turns on the ignition but without being programmed the engine cuts out after a few seconds. I tried using the programming instructions that came with the key but they did not work. So I'll be interested to know how you get on (4ldo) with your main dealer. Based on John's comments we'll be lucky to be able to programme these keys correctly. Please let me know what happens and if successful how much your dealer charges you for programming the key.

Cheers :beer: :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Audi Alan@Jun 1 2006, 09:53 AM
Hi Guys,

I too bought a blank A4 key fob off Ebay. I managed it get it cut yesterday by cloning it off the original. Not all locksmiths do this (not here in Dublin anyway !!). I had to do a little searching to get one that did. It only cost €19.00 (£13.00) to have the key cut. So I tried it in the car and it opens the doors and turns on the ignition but without being programmed the engine cuts out after a few seconds. I tried using the programming instructions that came with the key but they did not work. So I'll be interested to know how you get on (4ldo) with your main dealer. Based on John's comments we'll be lucky to be able to programme these keys correctly. Please let me know what happens and if successful how much your dealer charges you for programming the key.

Cheers  :beer:  :beer:
Hello,

My key arrived this morning, with some instructions to programme the remote part.
The instructions go along the lines of Inserting your main key into the ignition and turning the ignition on, lock the drivers door with the plastic wallet key and then press the unlock button on the remote for the horn to sound once, press again and it will be re programmed.
Simple as it sounds it does not work!
I'm not sure wether this has just been made up for the sake of selling these keys on Ebay?!
I will try my local dealer probably in the next week or so, see if I get any joy there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Yes they are the same instructions I got. Might be worth talking to the guy you bought from on Ebay before you leave him any feedback. You never know he may have other instructions that will work. I noticed my instructions were for A4 models from 1997 onwards. Probably different instructions needed for 2002 models. Let me know how you get on with the dealer.

:460: :460:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Audi Alan@Jun 1 2006, 12:22 PM
Yes they are the same instructions I got. Might be worth talking to the guy you bought from on Ebay before you leave him any feedback. You never know he may have other instructions that will work. I noticed my instructions were for A4 models from 1997 onwards. Probably different instructions needed for 2002 models. Let me know how you get on with the dealer.

:460:  :460:

Yeah, did you get the new shape key, I have done additional searches on the web and there are some other versions to the 1 he sent, I wonder if these will work-will try them tomorrow, the variations include putting the key you want to programme into the lock and pressing the unlock key but my plade is not cut for this, I was hoping to re programme the remote-knock the pin out of my current key and put the blade in my new remote! Very puzzling!

Thought it wouldn't be straightfoward easy! :gunsmilie:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I followed the same route to getting a second remote fob off eBay, I got the instructions and found I needed a second blade cut to work to be able to program the fob (it involved having a key in the ignition and one to lock the door in a certain combination)
I found a chap on eBay that would cut the blank key from a digital photograph - I must admit that I was a little sceptical but it worked brilliantly.
I was then able to program the fob to open the doors etc but the key will not allow the engine to run for more than a couple of seconds I am not sure of the next step to make it fully functional - all help appreciated.
Regards
Popell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

Ok, phoned the dealer, I asked how much to re programme a Cut key, he asked where I sourced it from and said Ebay. He just said bin it as it's not worth nothing?!

Apparantly they can spend up to 2 hours trying to re programme the keys and about 1 in 10 may work, new key costs around £140 + the vat.

Oh well : :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got mine cut now so i'll keep it as a spare key-Only £4 to do so thought may aswell, tried to prgramme in the remote features as now I have got it cut but it still wont work, I believe the only way to get the new key to work is now swap across the transponders within side the keys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
4ldo said:
Update!

Ok, phoned the dealer, I asked how much to re programme a Cut key, he asked where I sourced it from and said Ebay. He just said bin it as it's not worth nothing?!

Apparantly they can spend up to 2 hours trying to re programme the keys and about 1 in 10 may work, new key costs around £140 + the vat.

Oh well :
all keys can be re-programmed 2 button keys can be done manually.
3 button keys can be programmed using vagcom
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
all these so called instructions of programming the key will NOT work on Audi....Audi need to do it themselves by getting a auth code and then downloading the code to the chip,

If you lose a key, audi recommend you buy another key and they re-program both to a new code in sych with updating the code to the car and normally only charge you for doing one 1 key programe and they do your existing key for free.... (thats cause they have robbed you £140 for the key plus 1 hours labour!!)

One thing i have read a while ago is someone took apart there dinner jacket (plastic) key and transfered the chip to there new key off ebay, or you can do it with the service key.... however im not sure if then you can get the C/locking working....

keep us posted.

Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
RickT said:
all these so called instructions of programming the key will NOT work on Audi....Audi need to do it themselves by getting a auth code and then downloading the code to the chip,

If you lose a key, audi recommend you buy another key and they re-program both to a new code in sych with updating the code to the car and normally only charge you for doing one 1 key programe and they do your existing key for free.... (thats cause they have robbed you £140 for the key plus 1 hours labour!!)

One thing i have read a while ago is someone took apart there dinner jacket (plastic) key and transfered the chip to there new key off ebay, or you can do it with the service key.... however im not sure if then you can get the C/locking working....

keep us posted.

Rick
ive done programming through vagcom lastweek! keys and cluster
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
depends which version of VAG_COM you are running i guess then.

Can you upload the procdures are doing it then>??

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I believe the only way to get the new key to work is now swap across the transponders within side the keys.
does anyone know where to get the tool that works to get that piece out of the case? they look like conical nuts, cant unscrew them because they are smooth...
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top