Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:

Figured I'd pass this by you before I just acted hastily. I have a '95 Audi 90 (sport) with 195K miles, that has all but been given a certificate of death from a local mechanic (same shop that wisely had me invest in this car for a mere US4K some 10 years ago--I've loved it ever since).

We're looking at a need for new front struts, a transmission leak indicating possible need for tranny replacement, 3% left on brakes, CV boot issues (iirc), and...well, that's a good set of starters. Oh, and it's still got the original timing chain and something in the o2 sensor that has my check engine light perennially on for the last ~ 50 k miles. Anyways, estimate was over USD2000, with likelihood of success (or finding parts) uncertain. Oh, and some cretin pried off the Audi four-circles logo plate on the back last summer.

The upside: all else: electronics, body, engine, etc, in good to pristine condition.

My question: if I'm going to have to go out and find another used car (prolly have to settle on a Jetta or some such--and fast, like next week), should I just take my car (it does drive, modulo the "boat in choppy seas" performance of the front suspension) to a salvage yard, or is there someplace special this would be better appreciated for parts or...be still my beating heart...restoration?

I love this car, but it's just clear that it can't act as reliable transportation for me going forward. Been the best--and most enjoyable--car I've owned up to now.

Happy holidays all!
Wayne

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey Wayne....Greg here. Well I went thru the same scenerio as you are going thru...''is it worth it...is it not worth it'' well I said it's worth it and i ended up spending about $16,000 on my 1990 coupe but that's because i'm nuts...lol. I absolutely love these old audi's cuz they are head turners and have alot of history behind them so...if it was me and as crazy as I am...i would spend the money and go for it...Goodluck and cheers!

Greg!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts