Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drove for about 260 highway miles, and heard a whining/squeaking noise coming from driver's front wheel when going above 50mph. the whining gets higher in pitch when going around 70mphs. I first thought it;'s a wind noise coming from the side view mirror, but then realized it was only coming from left side, and not right, passenger’s side.

Upon arriving, smelled a burning smell coming from the same wheel and the rim was very hot to touch, while all other wheels were cool.

Also, car vibrates at 60-70mph, but I sort of brushed it off on wheels that need to be balanced and rotated.

There was no problems braking and the car did not swivel to any sides while breaking or driving.. could it be a bad bearing? and what are the consequences of driving like that until I get it fixed?

P.S.
this is 2001 A4 (2.8L) with 138K on it. I bought it at 118K and the previous owner said he has replaced a rear wheel bearing. Are these audi bearings prone to getting bad?

·
Registered
318 Posts
B5's are notorious for eating wheel bearings.

We have replacements available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jason

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sent girlfriend to a mechanic and he told her that the front left caliper and a hose needs to be replaced.. anybody know a part number for it and where to get online?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts