Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade the driving lights on my 2003 A4.

I currently have Projection driving lights as seen here.
eBay Motors: Audi A4 Headlights Xenon D1S Projectors Ballasts Bulbs (item 190036829814 end time Oct-10-06 07:22:08 PDT)

What i want is the clean crisp white with a hint of blue in them. And i've found this bulbs that look good.
eBay Motors: MTEC H7 SUPER WHITE HEADLIGHT BULBS AUDI A4 1.8T/3.0 (item 250036117020 end time Oct-09-06 18:53:42 PDT)

I've never had projection headlights before so i don't know what is required but if i buy part 2 can i fit them to my projection lights orrr is the bulbs only for the models that don't have projection lights?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
There are many HID kits out there for the B6 -- I think the headlight unit is different for ones with HID as standard and the normal ones, I dont think you can remove the projector glass in the standard ones... well i had a quick look and could not to clean....
the kits you buy are HID bulbs with ballast...

i got some bulbs the other day which look a bit like the ones you are looking at and i bulb a bulb after 600miles. (4 days)

below is a pic of the ones i got.. these had a massive blue tint which was too to give a good light... but looked good.

Im going for some 100w off road ones next in white without tint to see if thats any better..

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Rick,

I dont want HID just the HID look u get with aftermarket bulbs. Afterlooking at :: a4mods.com :: - The Premiere Audi A4 Modification Guide and Library and the headlight removal guide u can see that the projectors have normal bulbs and its not a case of replacing the whole lens. Which is good!

I might go ahead and get the MTec bulbs then :p

BTW the pictures didn't come up? Did u link/attach them at all? I would like to see what they look like! Also what K were they? As the ones i'm looking at are 4,350k I think.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
PS.. the bulbs you need are H7..

search Ebay and get any which are H7 -- some adverts push the price up and say AUDI, MERC, VW and still the same bulbs for more cash thinking as you own an Audi etc you will spend more...

Mine were advertised under FORD, TOYOTA which were £3 cheaper... just one little tip!!

Rickt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i've already looked on Ebay,

Are the origninal PIAA? Was it easy to swap the lights out or did u remove the whole unit? at that K they shouldn't have been that blue? Wierd?

I guess the only way is to buy a pair and see!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
you need to remove the full unit to do it correctlyand ensure the rear clip is on..

Well they are labelled as PIAA on the bulb and where sealed, so i guess yeah... but you know how HONGKONG, JAPAN etc have so many fakes... so may be it was....

really simple to change the bulb

You need to take the headlight unit out if its on the left hand side (due to power steering reservoir, if on the right hand side you can just about get to the cover to remove it...
If you need to remove the head lights .. it simple... 4 torque screws on the top.. undo and slide towards youself.... (place on something soft and remove the plastic cover and change bulb.. reinstall and tighten )

Thats all thats to it..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey,

Just wanted to update people who were intrested in Xenon bulbs thing.
I was patiantly waiting for a good financial time to buy those MTEC bulbs off ebay.

However, Saturday night rolls around and after a quick dash to Wal-Mart to get my self some footie socks and a cheap american football and some medical tape. My LH bulb blew! Left the car at home for the night and in the morning i went and got my self these:
OSRAM SYLVANIA - SilverStar
They don't list the K on the website but they are 4000k.

I haven't actually used them at night yet but they felt a lot brighter at dusk than my standards. The packaging does say they give u that HID look but they have no blue in them. I guess for the blue look i should have bought the Cool Blue bulbs but with out seeing them i'm scared they'd be wayyy tooo blue and not be as bright as i hoped.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i have spent loads of cash on getting a pair of bulbs which look like HIDs.... there are none about... i must have spent over £70.. $140 on them over the last year!!

However i have just been in the garage for 3 hours fitting my new HID's i got off ebay! 6000k, they look wicked!! i have only drove with them for 10 mins so far so i will give you an update once got a few miles done with them!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to see you go ur HIDs fitted.

Just took some quick photos of my lights with my new bulbs. As you can see the headlights are different to the UK/EU standard ones. We have that ugly yellow reflector in there. And the sidelights are the indicators and when the lights are on the indicators are always on until u signal then they blink off and on. Thankful state law does permit you to not have yellow front bulbs. So i swapped them out for clears!

i'm pretty happy with them but i know they'll never been in the same class as HIDs but all the same i am pleased with them.

Plus they're from a reputable lighting company so no dodgy Hong Kong knock offs that melt things!!!!!

BTW, i'm a Brit :p I Just immigrated to the US in August :D

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Guys

I just brought some bulbs from powerbulbs.co.uk, they are the Power Blue ones, and they have an offer, where if you buy one set, you get another set free and also a free set of side lights.

They are ok, but dont seem to have made a huge difference, I have to admit though that there are a lot of Jap cars driving about with some very bright blue tinted light around.....I want some thing like that, without having to spend Megabucks....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That seems a bit steep to me seeing as i bought my bulds with side lights all for $34 which is what abour 20 pounds (stupid yankee keyboard doesn't have the pound sign).
Don't let me put you off though as i think if ur gonna buy some bulbs make it some decent ones that you wont regret when they melt lol!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts