Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right.... as so many of you have been asking "how do i change the headlight bulbs and rear tails lights... i thought i would throw a quick guide together..

Also... the guide for the tail lights is for the avant... however from that im sure you will figure out how to do the saloon... (just open the lugs covered in carpet instead of the plastic opens..

Open and save/print the PDF to help you!

Enjoy!

Cheers

Rickt

IF YOU DONT HAVE ADOBE READER YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FROM HERE
Adobe - Reader download thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just thought I'd post a quick thank you for this. It's an excellent guide and I've managed to replace the driver's side dip beam bulb on my A4 cabrio. There's one small change in instructions for the cabrio, which is that there is only one retaining bolt at the rear of the light unit (I didn't spend too long searching for the other one!).

I had to tease the fittings at the top of the light unit away from the bodywork as they were being held in place by the reinforcing plates around the bolt holes. It's also hard to remove the light unit completely, but with the air intake duct removed, it's possible to replace the bulb in situ.

Still, great guide. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Word of waarning everyone.... Take note of this post, I tried to do it without taking them out (don't ask why just being stupid!) and now I've lost the back and the springclip inside the engine bay!
So I now have to try to get in underneath the car to get them out
Arggghhhhhhhhh!

·
Registered
77 Posts
psycho sootie said:
Good luck dude it real tight in there
Thanks for that .
Well managed to get the cover out, but never found the clip :confused:
So after a phone call to Audi to get a new one, it turns out that you can't buy them seperately:eek: they'll happily sell you a new headlight!!
Anyway I have now made a new one and it's all back together again at last !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Many thanks for this useful guide - just had to replace both a headlight bulb and tailgate bulb this weekend - completed the lot in under half an hour.

From a very grateful a4 owner

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Excellent guide. You have just saved me (Bedford Audi quote) £25-£30 to replace front n/s indicator bulb. Thanks

·
Registered
224 Posts
aydin said:
hey rick, for some reason it wont let me open it.... got any idea why??
Check your web browser settings. Firefox is known to cause problems when trying to download PDFs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
good guide that. I managed to figure out the rear light removal myself but the front procedure is a lot more complex than I would've expected - luckily I don't need to change any bulbs there yet!

Can anyone advise me what bulb is required for the rear fog lamp(s)? (my car is a 2003 A4 1.9 TDi Saloon)

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else have problems using the Sylvania bulbs you get at auto parts stores. I ended up getting one form the dealer. I noticed the Sylvania bulbs have two contacts where the OEM has one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
aydin said:
hey rick, for some reason it wont let me open it.... got any idea why?? maybe you can email it to me? [email protected]

I had the same problem, it was because I hadn't completed the activation of my user. I hadto reply to the eMail sent and then it worked no problem...hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks

Terrific Guide. Thanks for adding. Of course I paid the price by ignoring the "only loosen the back screws" instructions. The screw fell somewhere down behind the power steering reservoir:eek: . Still can't find it.

Turn signal change was an easy fix.

Thanks again....time go buy another bolt. By the way I would add you need a number 30 Torx driver, with an extension to get at the bolts in behind the light.

Greg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks RichT
Did as you exactly said and i did it fine. Let i may add i'm a complete novice when doing anything under the bonnet so i'm well chuffed i found out how to do it with your advice. Took me about an hour in total. Thanks again, saved me Audi dealership prices!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
audi headlight replacement

Just a tip for anyone with the v6 tdi I didn't have to remove any pipes to replace both headlights as per RickT's guide. You just need a long enough extension bar with a star screw bit. Had to buy a kit from homebase though:mad:, only £8. Beats paying audi:).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks............this was a great help.

Agree totally with mellie...........I was struggling for a bit until I realised that the narrow extension piece on my £5 screwdriver set would allow me to get to those rear screws without detaching any hardware except for the air duct on the drivers side.

Changed both dipped bulbs in about 20 mins:D

1 - 20 of 114 Posts