Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/gals I am audi ignorant and need to know a few things about the TT
What is Quattro?
Is turbo troublesome?
How many models are there?
When did the cabriolet come along?
Are the 2002's basically same as new ones?
thanks!
CE

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by clinteastwood@Jan 1 2005, 07:03 PM
Hi guys/gals I am audi ignorant and need to know a few things about the TT
What is Quattro?
Is turbo troublesome?
How many models are there?
When did the cabriolet come along?
Are the 2002's basically same as new ones?
thanks!
CE
Howdy neighbor. I see your in the Houston area. I'm just Northwest of you in Austin. I'll see if I can answser some of your questions.
Visit Audiusa.com . There is a glosary of terms that should answer most of your questions.

Quattro is Audi's version of all wheel drive. It is different on the TT's than most other models although Audi is beginning to use the "Haldex" all wheel drive system on more models. Haldex is a electro/hydraulic system that detects slippage in the drive wheel (front) with in a quarter of a turn and applies brake as necessary and diverts power to the rear wheels. TT's are front wheel drive vehicles.

There are currently three models to choose from. A 1.8L 4 cylinder 180 hp with manual gearbox, 1.8L 4 cylinder Turbo with 226 hp manual gearbox, or the 3.2 L V6 with 250 hp. The 3.2 has a new automatic Direct Shift Gearbox with shift by wire technology.

I have the latter. Can't speak for the turbo model.

Best of luck on your choice, anyone is still superb in my opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The TT was first offered as a 180 hp coupe in 2000. It had a 5 speed manual transmission.

Later the TT came in a 180 hp quattro version (5 speed manual), a front wheel drive 180 hp version (5 speed manual) and a 225 hp quattro (6 speed manual)

In 2004, Audi offered the 180 hp version in FWD only with a 6 speed tiptronic auto. The 225 hp came with a 6 speed and the 250 hp had a 6 speed dual clutch sequential gearbox, called the dsg.

The TT roadster was introduced in late 2000.

Turbo motors can run hotter than a normally aspirated car, but the 1.8t engine seems pretty reliable. Use synthetic oil in the turbo motor.

You may be able to find a 180 hp quattro with a 5 speed manual in the 2002 model year, but probably not in 2003 model year.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:rolleyes:
We were having a bit of a discussion between models in an earlier thread that might be of interest. Take a look here it might also give you a little extra info, although it is not directly addressing the things you were interested in.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts