Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light is on. Is there any way to pull or view the codes without a scanner? Car seems to drive fine so possibly not very bad, however i wont be able to pass the emissions test before getting plates if that light is on.

also is there an easy way to reset the ecu? or is that even the procedure to clear a CEL on audis?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
u can disconnect the batter for about 15min and the ECU should reset itself
but if there is a problem the CEL will come back on

REMEMEBER TO HAVE YOUR RADIO CODE HANDY

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmm disconnected the battery and it didnt clear even for a second. the code read from autozone is p0422 wich has something to do with the catalytic converter not working up to par from the sound of it.
it came on with the take stiff full from the purchase of the car so mabe its gas related? I put 91 in it today after having the code read but I have my doubts on it going off by itself. Migt go back to auto zone to see if they can clear it with the scanner.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
since its a real problem it wont clear, u have to get it fixed, even if u clear it it woll come back

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 99 A4 avant also, and I have had the service engine light come on occasionally and it goes out within a day or so too. For sure, it will come on if you do not tighten the gas cap all the way.

No other experience. It's only happended twice in a year.

VB

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah actually it went out yesterday so who knows heh. I talked to the guy I got it from who only deals in audis and porches and he says its real common for them to come on and go out by themselves and they arent usually major issues. Ill still have it read each time it comes on though to be safe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
haha that happened to me the first week. turns out i just didnt screw the gas cap back on tight enough. lol. that was embarassing

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
my check engine light has been on now for about 4 months, lol and its still a mistery on wat it could be. it happened right after i installed my short ram intake. but i'm pretty sure it's for my valve cover b/c i need to replace it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts