Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I should get an extended warranty for my A4 3.0. It is at 48k miles and almost out of the manufactur's warranty. I have had a few problems with the electrical components as well as a few other items and I am worried this would cost me a fortune if it wasn't under warranty. Does anyone have any advice for me?

And if I should get one should I get it through the dealership or through a third party? I am worried that a third party might not stand behind stuff...but I am not sure. If someone has a good trusted one to talk to that would be great.

also, on average how much does it cost?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
i bought the VW extendend warranty for my Jetta when it expired.. i've used it several times. if you have the money available i hightly recomend it - you never know what'll happen, and even the simplest repairs on our cars cost alot

·
Registered
5 Posts
OH WOW please get it .It will be the best thing you've ever done..They are a one of the most expensive cars to fix without the hook up on parts and a good mechanic..If you don't get it you'll have a helloftime trying to get a good one after market.cause to get your car fixed it has to break down first,with Audi it's preventitive maintenance you need and they do supply,With a loner car ..Trust you'll be happier this way even if it costs a grand,or two..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Keep in mind that an extended warranty is essentailly an insurance play. That is, the issuer of the warranty is betting you the car won't break down and you are betting that it will. The bet ($) is the premium you pay for the extended warranty. Presumably the issuer of the warranties is on average, paying out fewer claims than they are collecting in premiums, otherwise they go broke!
I'd say it depends on how long you want to keep your car after the original warranty period. The longer you go the higher the probability that something is going to break.
Also, check the conditions of the extended warranty carefully. Particularly the exclusions. They may not be covering everything you think they should.
Last but not least, there is a certain value retained in selling a used car (particularly a brand such as Audi) that carries with it an extended warranty.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheesemax, you're right on the money there! I would rather opt for a maintenance plan or similar, depending on the who or where you take out a maintenance plan, you get more back in preventative measures and replacement on wear and tear items. Yes, only if you can afford it and if where you live is anything like here where I am, workshops triple the price on parts for a "pay-in" outside your plan.

On the other hand... A mate of mine was 2k outside of his warranty on his A4 B6 1.8T and the oil pump packed up leaving him with a bill from Audi... wait for it... R52000.00 or $6582 - new motor basically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts