Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to replace the plastic in my AUDI 1998 carbiolet rear window?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, best bet is to invest in a repair manual. I just bought a 96 Cab needing a rear window. I saw three top shops, none of whom knew that the window zippers in. It's a rare car.

Coincidentally, I bought the Audi repair manual, published by Bentley (I got mine on EBay for $80, it sells retail from Bentley for $105) and found out that the window zips in, then is glued onto the top using heat sensitive glue that is set by sending current through wires already in place in the convertible top. The manual says you need a special Audi tool that presses the top against the window while the glue is setting, I don't know about that, I haven't had mine done yet, but it looks like a good idea to do it that way to be sure of a watertight seal.

I had to buy the Bentley manual as I couldn't find an aftermarket repair manual on this car from Haynes or Chilton or anyone else. Good luck.

Mooreman

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had 2 Audi Cabrio's and have replaced both tops - the window, although it does have a zipper underneath the material, is not really meant to be replaced separately. That said, you are much better off replacing the entire top in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Zippered rear window no real help.

As I mentioned earlier, the window zippers in, but you have to glue the top onto the edges to seal it, and they've got a handy dandy heat wire to set heat-sensitive glue while a custom frame presses the top to the window edges . . .

I've gotten mine replaced since my earlier post, and the top shops I went to said great on the zipper, but no one has the special Audi frame that presses the top around the seal area while the glue is heated, and the wires are known to burn the top if one is not careful.

So . . . . they sewed in a new rear window, not an Audi one, just some window plastic cut to match . . . $450. Looks good, and certainly mucho cheaper than the dealer (*shiver*).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts