Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally I made one step forward to become a owner of Audi. A couple of days ago, I bought a 2001 A8 L of 109k miles. I am anxious about it because of friends' experiences.

Here comes: I couldn't find the transmission dipstick to check the transmission fluid. Read the owner manual and found no words like 'transmission fluid'. It just seems that there were no transmission for this car. So I need some help about the Audi secret.

1. Why does not Audi provide the info?
2. What is the type of the transmission fluid? Capacity, ...
3. How to change the fluid?
4. How often to change it?

I definitely believe changing fluids (because of my Tribology background). Typically I change ATF every 36k miles. However, I don't send cars to any shop. I want to have the fun. :bwekk:

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as I know the transmission is a closed system. There is no dipstick to check the levels. Its the same for my wife's Jetta also.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah... The ZF tranmissions that Audi uses are quite sensitive to both fluid type and level. There is a way to do this on your own but it involves bringing the tranny temp up to 40C and pulling the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission. You then use a special hook shaped tool to pump fluid into the drain hole until it starts to drip out on your head. :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What type of ATF used in Audi A8?

I have BMW, MB and Lexus. None of them design the transmission in this way. Their transmissions are very reliable. I still don't get it why ZF or Audi did this.

I am going to change the ATF soon. Hopefully I have the necessary info to do the job.

In terms of the parts for Audi A8, I would like to know the best place (availability, quality and price) online.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 1998 A8 has a tub to transmission with red cap.
You can use the engin dip stick( clean first) to check level.
Had mine servised by independent at 110,000 miles cost $300.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts