Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,
Replaced my 2002 A6 with the latest one last week. Car was ordered since January! We have European fuel prices and hence I chose the 2.0TDi. This is considered a fairly large engined car in Ireland as the average is somewhere between 1.0L and 1.4L.
Firstly, the car is a beautiful Aero Blue Metalic - and it drives much better than the previous model. I love the look of it.
So what's wrong with it? (previous car was a base model too)
They have skimped on equipment and ripped out so many items that were standard on the 2002 car. For a car that cost nearly 48,000 euro - this is riciculous.
e.g.
No luggage net or clamps in the boot
Climate Control replaced with Air-Con
Tiny unusable Door pockets
No rear cupholders
Electric height adjustment on seats missing
Underseat Storage missing
6 disc CD player replaced with a single disc
BUT worst of all NO SPEAKERS IN THE REAR OF THE CAR!!!

I know, I know - I should have checked these in the brouchure and ordered them if they were so important to me but doesn't every car have speakers in the rear?
So, that's my gripe.
Anyone agree with me or am I way off base? Shouldn't a new model have better equipment levels?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi farl010771,

I just took delivery of a new '05 A6 3.2...apparently they equip the cars much differently here in the states.

Mine came with just about everything you listed as 'missing' in yours. The cargo net came with no extra charge and the hooks are chrome in the 'boot', climate control vs. a/c, I'm not sure how you qualify which is which, but mine has 2 temperature controls; one for driver, one for co-pilot, plus 4 vents for rear passengers (albeit no seperate temp control for them). Door pockets-subjective I guess, at least as big as my BMW 330's. Rear cupholders pop out of the center arm rest, height adj and under seat drawer is on both front seats as well as lumbar adj for both. 6 cd in glove box, 13(+?) speakers in car.

My only complaints are about the %$#@ overzealous seatbelt warnings, and the location of the 2nd cupholder up front.

Best,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agree with Speedster. My US-bought '05 A6 3.2 has all the requisite bells and whistles...all the opts you mention you are missing and more. The seat belt warning is a drag, but it's a minor nit compared to how great everything else is about the car. It's early yet (only 10K), but no issues to date.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's an usual procedure that as a car's conception grows older, more and more equipment becomes standard.

The C5 A6 you previosly owned had appeared in 1997 (if I remember well). By 2002, it was already an older conception car, so in order to keep up with the competitors, Audi offered more standard equipment.

Be sure that back in 1997, the A6 had less standard equipment than your 2002 model. I'm sure that even the single-disc player was to be payed for.

Apart from these, I totally agree about the rear speakers. At that price level, it *MUST* be standard equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im sad to hear that but not surprised. I am an American contractor who has been living overseas off and on for the past seven years. Audi and all germany luxury cars come far better equiped with far larger engines in the US. I currently live in Italy where you can buy any germany luxury car "stripped" by US standards. The biggest issue is that AUDI, BMW and MERCs in the US come fully equiped and are only sold in their luxury segment. There are no stripped down versions of these cars. Even the most basic car has features my European counterparts would drool over.There are no A2's, no BMW 1 series, no diesels, not 1.4 or 2.0 (A3 exception). US cars also have more noise insulation, better glass and more standard safety equipment. Then there is the 4 year warranty in the US vs the 2 year in Europe. In the US Audi owners get the Audi Advantage (free oil changes and loner vehicles ) and Europeans get nothing. The smallest engine on the US C5 A6 was the 2.8 200 horsepower version. The smallest engine on the US Spec C6 A6 is the 3.1 255 DFI v6. Go to www.audiusa.com and build one for yourself. Try zip code 22091. In anycase to make matter completely unfair, for all this the US consumer pays less for their cars. I have a US Spec S line 4.2. I paid approx 57,000 USD for the car. A base 4.2 here in Italy with less standard equipment is 71000 Euro or 84,000 USD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts