Audi Forums banner

Audi A6 2.8 Se Newbie Buyer Questions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cooper 
#1 ·
Hi All :)

I'm looking to buy an Audi A6 as my next car and looked at a decent one today.
I never have any luck when buying cars (I seem to attract lemons ;) ) so any suggestions greatly appreciated.

The car's a 99 A6 SE 2.8 Saloon with tiptronic transmission and 94k miles on the clock. It has full dealer service history and is in very good condition.
The car has black leather interior with original Audi Sat Nav (Via the dash display).
The previous owner just fitted a new set of alloys - 17" ones married to 255/40/R17 tires :eek:

I took the car for a spin and never having driven an A6 I was amazed at how smooth,quiet and fast the car was - Drove like a brand new car to me.....but then I've been driving Nissan, Rover (Rest their soul) and Vauxhall diesels all my life :wacko:

A couple of things are niggling me about the car that I hope you guys may be able to help either put my mind at rest...or prompt me to check a bit deeper...

1. The dash display used for the Sat Nav and computer is totally shot and almost unreadable - Most of the display seems to have dimmed to the degree that you cant read it. I've heard that these are VERY expensive to replace and there was apparently a technical bulletin a couple of year back describing this issue - Are these displays easily sourcable through breakers?

2. When first started and the engine's revved up and I take my foot quickly off the accelerator the revs drop down to the point where the car almost stalls. Once warmed up this problem disappears - I've noticed this on the past two A6's I've looked at.
Is this a common prob and does it sound like something simple or something that could be expensive to fix?

3. The car was very smooth and handled very well, however, when going round a roundabout I'm sure I heard a faint knocking from the rear drivers side of the car - Nothing major but again, is this something to be wary of - I've heard that A6's have had their fair share of probs with suspension etc.

4. The car's done 94k miles but appears to have been looked after....although the fat wheels make me a little concerned that the lats owner may have been a bit of a racer - Is there anything likely to need replacing at this milage?

5. Final question (I promise :) ) - The cars done 94k miles - Does anyone know when the next service is due.....and is this a big expensive one?

Sorry for so many questions - But any help really is appreciated :thumbsup:

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:
Still undecided about the car as ideally I want one with less mileage, but having said that, for £5.5k with dealer warranty and a new MOT beggers can't be choosers!

I'd be buying on a very limited budget so really cant afford got anything expensive to fail but realise that buying any second hand car's a risk :unsure:

Is there a ite somewhere where you can enter a VIN or reg number to check if there's any outstanding recalls due on the car?. I know this was habdy when I bought my wifes Jeep.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.