Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have an Audi A4 estate with a tailgate which is working intermittently.

I managed to open the boot yesterday and prise the front clips off the boot panel and found that the solenoid is lazy and on the first push of the boot switch it pulls back the linkage however on subsequent pushes it becomes lazier. If you leave it for 5 minutes it is back to full working order and again the power reduces on subsequent pushes.

The problem being that often the linkage does not open the boot at all and there is no option to unlock the boot using a key which seems a little ridiculous.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and does it seem likely that it is the boot switch that is losing power or indeed a faulty solenoid?

Any responses would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
alright mate, i too have a a4 estate same happened to me ended up replacing the solinoid. cost me £26 from audi also had to replace the boot catch because at some point the rear wash wipe pipe came loose and water corroded the terminals. all sorted now....

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Yes a very common problem indeed with the solenoid, it went on mine leaving me unable to get into the boot, had to get the car into Audi so they could get it open for me manually via the key after disconecting the solenoid friom the push rod.. and beleive it or not the part was so in demand i had to wait 2 weeks for it to come in from germany on back order lol ...

I would get it changed asap before it totally packs in and you cant get into the boot at all !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same kind of problem on my A4 saloon & managed to open it with the key & sparayed the latch with some derusting protuct & it is back working - I guess mine was a simple thing not the solenoid probably

·
Registered
3 Posts
Boot lock problem

So a squirt of some lubricant on the solenoid will work?
Mine is intermittant as well, but it only seems to not work
during the summer when the car has been sitting out in very hot sunlight.
Although weird, it is the only time when it happens...then it works again after a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi,

i have the same issue ( i think), my boot would not close or lock and the touch pad to open the boot is not working either...

can you tell me what part i need? you mentioned the solinoid.. is this the part i need? can i repair it with ease or should i take it to a garage?

how easy is it to open the boot lid?

appreciate your feedback..

·
Registered
29 Posts
boot lock

hi hmeah. you need to remove the inside boot lid trim to access the solinoid. i found it quite easy just a matter of taking old one out and new one in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I managed to pick up the lock hatch, will try & have a go this weekend to put it in... fingers crossed...

I also need to sort out the wiring in the boot for the antenna.. as i hardly get any reception on the radio... another 'common' fault on the a4...

i think i've had more then my fair share of 'common' faults on this audi!

thanks for your input....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem and as with others, it seems intermittant though it only seems to not work during the summer when the car has been sitting out in very hot sunlight.
Very weird, it is the only time when it happens...then it works again after a while. I think it's time for me to get a new solenoid... Are there any quick guides to solenoid replacement?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all,
i had the same problem in my A4 B6 limo on hot days (here in Greece is always hot days) and i replaced the solenoid (position moter). The part number is 8E5 962 115 B and cost about 22 euro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Open boot without using remote

Is there a way to open the boot from inside the car without using the remote? I ask this because each time I want to open my boot when picking up the kids from school, I have to switch off the engine and press the boot key. Can I fit something to open the boot with the push of a switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there, I have an avant and the only way to open the boot from the inside is to climb into the boot, open the cover where the red triangle is stored and inside there is a red plastic cable. Pull that and hey presto, the boot opens. Not exactly very practical - especially if the boot happens to be full but it does work in an emergency. The other thing i've noticed is that if you turn the ignition on, the boot will often open properly..

·
Registered
3 Posts
boot opens when i turn the lights off ?

Well here goes i have a 2005 audi and the boot opens when turning the lights off also the boot will not work when opened by hand only remotly can anybody advise cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Robin, i think it's something to do with a small change in power. My boot would often work if i started the engine. I ended up taking it to the garage and getting the actuator changed - it cost about £70 but is well worth it for the sanity it brings knowing i'll be able to get into the boot (especially when it's full which prevents openeing via the back-up pull)

·
Registered
3 Posts
cheers but the latch is fine when i turn the lights off it opens and the pad which opens the boot does not work

1 - 20 of 22 Posts