Audi Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fixed antenna amp!...sort of

OK, I fixed it, sort of.

This part connects the rear defroster and radio antenna cables to the wires on the rear window. I also acts as an amplifier and diversity selector. It looks like over time, and many thermal expansion cycles, some of the components break free from the circuit board (under the rubber encapsulation).

I carefully pulled off the rubber, but in the process pulled off a few of the surface mount components (too many to try to repair). So I cheated. I soldered a wire between one of the antennas (where the pcb attaches to the rear window) and to a point very close to where the coax antenna connect is mounted to the pca.

This fixed my FM reception almost completely, and improved my AM reception considerably, but not as good as it should be.

Cheaper than a new part!!! The amount of money saved should just about cover a Chip...

Cheers.

Jonnies,

I have the same problem w/ my 2002 A4Q. Did you fix it yourself or buy a new part from the dealer?

Who has the best prices on Audi parts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same problem here, 2002 v6 3.0 sport package radio working great then all of a sudden BOOM no quality reception.
Will have a look at it this weekend if I figure it out ill let you guys know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same here A4 2002 V6 2.4 ... at the Audi dealer they are aware of this problem , whoever , repair price is astronomical . I think i'll go with the "bridge" solution first , if not enough maybe i will put a simple copper wire along the rear window between roof and cover :)

I wonder if this part was improved after noticing it obviously fails (mine is broken long ago)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Antenna Amplifer

Finally pulled out my antenna amplifier/booster from just above the back window to inspect and figure out why my signal was very weak.
While i was pulling it out it started to work great, then when i reinstall it, it would go bad again. When i put force on the booster (right where it says made in germany is) i got great reception.
So to make a long story short I rigged a shim into the upper panel above the window )just to put pressure on the booster) and now all is good.
Saved myself approx 375$ by not needing one from my local dealer.
My advise to you guys. Remove panel and play with amplifier/booster before you spend your hard earned money on these over priced parts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally pulled out my antenna amplifier/booster from just above the back window to inspect and figure out why my signal was very weak.
While i was pulling it out it started to work great, then when i reinstall it, it would go bad again. When i put force on the booster (right where it says made in germany is) i got great reception.
So to make a long story short I rigged a shim into the upper panel above the window )just to put pressure on the booster) and now all is good.
Saved myself approx 375$ by not needing one from my local dealer.
My advise to you guys. Remove panel and play with amplifier/booster before you spend your hard earned money on these over priced parts.

Yep , noticed a crack on it , just like someone said here before , will try to play with it in the same way ... before replacing the unit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nhouk- That is not the part on a U.S. '05 A4. Here are pictures of the diversity antenna amp from my car. Its about 12 x 2 x .5 inches. You can see the crack in the black rubber casing near the 3 coax connectors. The part costs a couple hundred dollars from a dealer, and I have not been able to find one online.

I'm prepared to solder in new surface mount components if I could identify the proper parts. Also, its VERY difficult to remove the rubber backing without pulling more parts off the PCB.

That's why I was curious about Badger61's "easy fix"... unless he just mean it was easy to replace the unit (which it is, but very expensive).
Mine had the same problem. I disconnected the part above the rear window, stuck one end of a 12" piece of wire into the white connector and added some aluminum foil to it for good measure. works like new..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine had the same problem. I disconnected the part above the rear window, stuck one end of a 12" piece of wire into the white connector and added some aluminum foil to it for good measure. works like new..

hy there ... sorry but I don't understand this part with aluminium foil ... where exactly you put this foil... I can't imagine this, and if you can make some photo of this what you made I would be grateful ;-)

thx.
wbr

·
Registered
1 Posts
Were you able to fix the antenna problem. I have the some problem and not sure what the fix is. I did find the rectangular box and the three wires. what is the fix if I don't what to purchase a new box
Badger61- What is the "easy fix"?

I determined that it is the diversity antenna that's bad in my car.
If I remove it, and simply put a length of wire into one of the coax connectors running back to the radio, the reception comes back.

The unit is located behind a trim panel that runs across the cabin just above the rear window. It snaps off. You'll see a black rectangular box clipped to the rear window, and 3 coax connectors. Two are for antennas and one is a data/power wire. The radio sends signals to the amplifier to switch between the 2 antennas, and then chooses whichever one gives the best signal. It is not a simple "antenna booster", although depending on where you're located, a simple booster might work.

Apparently, a common problem is that the rubber that encases the electronics crack and damages the board. Mine has the cracks. I carefully peeled back some of the rubber and found at least one surface-mount component had been pulled apart by the shrinkage of the rubber. But that rubber is impossible to remove without damaging more parts. I design and build circuit boards, so I could repair it if I had a schematic.
Nhouk- That is not the part on a U.S. '05 A4. Here are pictures of the diversity antenna amp from my car. Its about 12 x 2 x .5 inches. You can see the crack in the black rubber casing near the 3 coax connectors. The part costs a couple hundred dollars from a dealer, and I have not been able to find one online.

I'm prepared to solder in new surface mount components if I could identify the proper parts. Also, its VERY difficult to remove the rubber backing without pulling more parts off the PCB.

That's why I was curious about Badger61's "easy fix"... unless he just mean it was easy to replace the unit (which it is, but very expensive).

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi i had a cracked antenna booster and had no radio signal at all, i bought a new 1 from the dealer but now all i get are faint signals! any help?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Radio.

I dont know whats up with my stereo. I can only get about 2-3 good radio stations in a city and even only 1 when i travel. When i scan, hardly anything is found! Is there something wrong with my transmitter/antenna...I need some help...and I'm not about to go to the dealer! Please...any suggestions what it could be?
Hi. Did you manage to find out if i was your radio or antenna amplifier which was causing your poor radio reception.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I was just reading about the antenna booster problems with the Audi A4 and saw you question about the window tinting. I bought my car used and it has aftermarket tinting on the woindow. Can this affect the radio reception?

·
Registered
1 Posts
AudiA3_BoseRadioNoStations

I'm having the same exact problem in my '03. Its been fine since new, until a few months ago. Its as if there's no antenna - just gets a few strong stations on FM, nothing on AM. Tape and CD are fine.

Where does the antenna cable run?
Is there an antenna amp? If so, where is it?
How do you remove the radio (to check the antenna connection on the back?).

Thanks
I have an Audi A4 Quattro with the Bose system and I can't get any Am station and very few FM too. At first it seemed fine, when I purchased it from my uncle in 2009, it would tell me the station name and songs as they played but then shortly there after it stunk! I am only really tired of it now. I would like to know if there is anything I can do/buy!? Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wow. Phew. The radio works again, and I'm going to share my story to help any future readers.

The OEM setup:
2004 A4 cabriolet (3.0Q)
Symphony II radio 8E0 035 195Q
Antenna (aka Aerial) booster/switcher modules/boxes 8H0 035 225 B/D

I first notice the problem while driving, my reception comes and goes. Sometimes I notice it correlates to hitting a bump in the road, sometimes it doesn't. Eventually, it is entirely gone.

I research the problem online. I learn that the cabriolets have an issue where the wire breaks in the trunk/boot lid. The way to diagnose is to shake/manipulate the wires to see if the reception comes and goes. You can see someone doing it in the video here:
fixing.n.improving.our.audis

I shake/manipulate the wires, there is no change. I remove the trim/carpet from the trunk to investigate further. No matter what I do, I can't get the reception to come and go; it is only GONE. Examine the modules/boxes and their internals, they are fine, nothing out of place, no burn marks, no corrosion, no nothing. Check every connection, etc. After a few hours, I decide you know what, CDs are fine for now.

Time goes by, eventually its gets taken to a radio install shop to get fixed. After 8 days of communication, I've heard that its everything from them...need new modules, needs an aftermarket antenna, need the radio to be rebuilt. But they aren't sure enough of themselves to swallow the cost of the part if they are wrong. In the end, they give it back unfixed with the radio removed, but they are pretty sure it needs a new radio. I take their word for it.

I go to buy a new radio...I see that the model number I have is *different*. 8E0 035 195 Q. Most are A. I try to figure out if this is something different for the cabriolet. This is a big deal, because the A is readily available, and about $60. The Q, is nearly impossible to find, and goes for...wait for...about $700.

Well, I figure its worth the $60 to just try, and if it doesn't work, I'll just resell it for a small loss. Get the new radio in, install it...nothing. Unfortunately, I can't tell if its because its an A model or if its because the problem isn't in the radio.

I once again investigate the cables for a break. Strip it all down again, but this time I remove the rubber wire tunnel and I take the cloth tape off. I find a kink! Similar but not as pronounced as what is shown here: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?98252-How-to-fix-the-radio-reception-on-A4-cab I grab it right by the kink and try manipulating the wire to see if I get any reception. Nothing. I smush it together with all my might...nothing. Nothing. Not even a glimpse of reception.

I find this thread, and I see jonnies tip on diagnosing whether or not it is the booster. Essentially Take a thin piece of wire and touch it to the center conductor at the end of one of the cables. If it that thin piece of wire improves reception, it is the booster/module.

I try this. My reception improves as he says; I determine that it must be a module because 1) I'm taking his advice and 2) I rationalize it cant be a break in the wire because the break is before the connector that I'm touching the wire to.

I discover that my modules 8H0 035 225 B/D are both hard to find, and expensive. I come across modules 8H0 035 225 J/P which look identical and I see written in another forum are the new versions of the B/D parts. I take the same leap of faith that I did on the radio and buy the different model number.

I install new modules. It works! For like a second. Then it doesn't work. I'm trying everything, combinations of modules, hooking some cables up and not.

At this point, I'm down to one thing only: repairing that kink. So I went for it. I strip the wire, hold it with my hands...and it works. I finish up the job, tape the joint up nicely, re-thread the wire through the rubber tunnel (not easy) and get it all back together.

I try the combinations: Part numbers are compatible. All of my modules are fine, B/D/J/P whatever. The only thing that was ever broken was a tiny kink in the beige wire "ant"

TL;DR
If you have a cabriolet, repair any kink you see in coaxial cable. The problem may be so severe that manipulating the wire doesn't give you intermittent signal. Again, thoroughly investigate for kinks and repair all kinks before doing anything else.

Jonnies method for testing the booster for function is not correct. You will get an improvement in reception whether or not the booster is broken and therefore it is no way to determine if the booster is broken. Do not use this method to determine if your booster is broken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fixed it

I had the same issue with my radio.. As one of the users mentioned, by applying pressure and finding the spot on the antenna ampliphier, I just put a piece of material between the cover and the that spot and that fixed the issue. Hope that helps and Thanks this forum for this solution. Easier then do the remoivng and soldering..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Been looking for a good fix for this problem that didn't involve dropping several hundred on a new antenna component and came across this gem: Easy Cracked Radio Reciever Fix It worked PERFECTLY on my wife's 03' A4. Definitely check it out for a very easy solution to this unfortunately common problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Such a pity !Sorry but I have never heard about it so I can’t help u here Maybe the best solution is to go the nearest car service?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts