Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know whats up with my stereo. I can only get about 2-3 good radio stations in a city and even only 1 when i travel. When i scan, hardly anything is found! Is there something wrong with my transmitter/antenna...I need some help...and I'm not about to go to the dealer! Please...any suggestions what it could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radio

The factory radio is still installed....I wonder if it has something to do with the antenna on the back window. Maybe i need a new one. ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm having the same exact problem in my '03. Its been fine since new, until a few months ago. Its as if there's no antenna - just gets a few strong stations on FM, nothing on AM. Tape and CD are fine.

Where does the antenna cable run?
Is there an antenna amp? If so, where is it?
How do you remove the radio (to check the antenna connection on the back?).

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem guys. Stock stereo, was fine for a few years, then started to have buzzing / ignition noise and somewhat bad reception, now the buzzing is gone but the reception has gotten worse.

I had my car in the shop for a week and had a rental. The same stations I can't get more then 25 miles from home come in clear up to 100+ miles away when I drove from LA to San Diego.

Someone in the forums suggested this:

Scosche Industries : Car Audio Accessories, iPod Accessories, Bluetooth Wireless Accessories, EFX Hyperformance, Accumat Sound Damping, Soundkase audio backpacks, CD and DVD storage systems

I will do some looking around in the trunk to see if I can find out where the existing part is and if that is it.

The Dealer charged me $145 to tell me my antenna booster is bad, and wanted another $345 to fix it. Highway Robbery! They tell me this now after I had them check it twice when under warranty and they said they couldn't find any problem.

If anyone finds the answer please pm me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Badger61- What is the "easy fix"?

I determined that it is the diversity antenna that's bad in my car.
If I remove it, and simply put a length of wire into one of the coax connectors running back to the radio, the reception comes back.

The unit is located behind a trim panel that runs across the cabin just above the rear window. It snaps off. You'll see a black rectangular box clipped to the rear window, and 3 coax connectors. Two are for antennas and one is a data/power wire. The radio sends signals to the amplifier to switch between the 2 antennas, and then chooses whichever one gives the best signal. It is not a simple "antenna booster", although depending on where you're located, a simple booster might work.

Apparently, a common problem is that the rubber that encases the electronics crack and damages the board. Mine has the cracks. I carefully peeled back some of the rubber and found at least one surface-mount component had been pulled apart by the shrinkage of the rubber. But that rubber is impossible to remove without damaging more parts. I design and build circuit boards, so I could repair it if I had a schematic.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nhouk- That is not the part on a U.S. '05 A4. Here are pictures of the diversity antenna amp from my car. Its about 12 x 2 x .5 inches. You can see the crack in the black rubber casing near the 3 coax connectors. The part costs a couple hundred dollars from a dealer, and I have not been able to find one online.

I'm prepared to solder in new surface mount components if I could identify the proper parts. Also, its VERY difficult to remove the rubber backing without pulling more parts off the PCB.

That's why I was curious about Badger61's "easy fix"... unless he just mean it was easy to replace the unit (which it is, but very expensive).

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
My car is an 02 model A4 and I have that same part jonnies took a picture of. I ripped down the back panel above the window and there it was.

Ya the dealer is a huge ripoff to replace this, wanting to charge me almost $400. They diagnosed that part as the problem for a mere $145. I didn't see any cracks on mine, however I'm sure it is at fault and I imagine a fairly common problem now because the dealer now seems to know about it, whereas 2-3 years ago they were clueless.

I will let you guys know if I can find this part anywhere online. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
nhouk- There's simple way to determine if the unit is bad. Turn the radio on and tune to a channel you would normally receive OK, but is now crappy. Then disconnect the 3 connectors to the amp (what little reception you had will now probably go away). Get a piece of thin wire, about 12-18 inches long. Touch the end of the wire to the tiny pin in the center of each connector (on the wires that went to the unit). I'm not sure which color connector is which, but when you touch one of them, the reception should improve dramatically. Be careful not to short the center pin to the outer metal. If it doesn't improve the reception, try a couple of other known stations. If none of this makes the radio work, then your problem may be somewhere else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the tip jonnies. I'm fairly sure the unit is bad though because the dealer already looked into it and said it was bad.

Only problem is how to fix it for less than $400. I surmise that we can only get a new part from Audi at a cost of several hundred dollars. I think I might contact them and see if they will cover it under warranty since I've had this problem since it was under warranty and they failed to fix it 3 times.

If you do find a place to get the part let me know and I will do likewise. I searched for about 45 minutes online and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the same problem with my radio reception, i'm not getting any signal at all....

i read the forums and people are saying it could be the wiring or within the bootlid, any ideas how to open this?

what test can i do to know where the problem is~?

i really don't want to go to audi for this.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmeah- see my earlier posts.
The antenna amplifier (called a diversity amplifier) is located behind a trim panel above the rear window. The panel just pulls off. My previous post describes a simple test to determine if the amp is bad.
If that doesn't tell you anything, then you need to pull the radio out. Disconnect the antenna connector from the radio and carefully touch a wire to the center contacts (on the radio) -- if you get reception your problem is somewhere in the wiring between the radio and the rear window antenna. If you still don't get any reception, the problem is most likely in the radio.

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine is cabriolet, i guess its different the the saloon/hatchback version.

i am sure the problem is in the boot lid, as sometimes when i open close the boot.. i get reception...

if anyone can further me in my quest... please do...

thanks again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jonnies,

I have the same problem w/ my 2002 A4Q. Did you fix it yourself or buy a new part from the dealer?

Who has the best prices on Audi parts?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts