Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased an Audi A4 2.0 SE (Y reg 2001) Multitronic after owning a BMW 520i SE for 2.5 years. I have had the Audi for 1 month and am already losing the will to live! After a number of faults (including having to fit a new multi-tronic switch) the car is now giving me grief in the morning. I start the car in the morning and the engine tries desperately to cut-off, followed by banging noises from under the bonnet and the engine management light then starts flashing. Can anyone PLEASE help before I drive it off a cliff! Thanks guys!!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I had the same problem about 6 months ago...

The engine sounds like it running on a cylinder down... runs very rough... revs very high and then low on idle... ECU light flashing away...

My issue was due to the air intake hose had split after the air flow meter, which was causing all the above problems...

I located the area at fault by lifting the bonnet and revving the engine... i could hear the engine whistling...(gasping air in) - so i did a quick bodge job by sealing the hose with duct tape as a temp fix while i heading to Audi for the part. (The hose was £40)

However... while i was investigating this fault before finding the reason for it. The issues i was experiencing where the same as if a coil pack had gone down (common ish on Petrol Audi i have heard) these are only £25.00 per coil pack so nothing to really broke the bank (incase you didnt know you have 4 coil packs) (chances are only one will be at fault)

Where abouts are you from??

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for th info mate. I'm from Birmingham in the UK - how abouts you? I am taking the car back to Weybridge Vehicles where I bought it from on Saturday and am hoping they can fix it however they dont seem to know what the problem is!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Did you get some warrenty off them when you got it?? as it wont be a wear and tear part so that should cover it..

Im up in West Yorkshire..

Let us know the outcome for future ref!

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot mate - really appreciate your input. Started her this morning and same outcome, trying to cut-out followed by banging noises ... no engine management light the last 3 times though?! Tried to drive off straight away (as stated in Audi manual) and the car made a funny 'puffing' sound from the engine.....(!)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i noticed before if you keep the revs high the engine light wont flash as theres enough fuel and air been blasted in..

If you are going to drive it.. i just kept the revs high to avoid it idling really rough coz when i put the revs on it seem to run ok ish...

good luck and let us know the out come,

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a call from the garage ... appears to be a rip in the air pipe ... YOU WERE RIGHT!! Should have car back next week when I will get remote start fitted ... anyone else had this fitted to their Audi?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
GOOD STUFF!!!! - so its a common ish issues now!!

Wait until its been repaired... it will feel totally different!! and you will realise how much power it had lost!

so i guess it was a cheap fix then?? it cost me about £40 to replace, however i did also buy another 2 smaller hose which looked as if they were on the way out so i didnt have further problems in the future.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope you're right mate ... I went from a 2.0 BMW to a 2.0 Audi and couldnt believe how underpowered the Audi was. Now I know why! Can't wait for it now !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts