Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an A4 for the wife 80grand on the clock 98 reg, is there much that needs constant visual attention or is it near as dam bullet proof, body work aint a problem to me, its whats hidden underneath :00000732:
cheers in advance

·
Registered
470 Posts
Check the service history. Make sure the cambelt has been done. Can get problems if that has ever snapped. Tend to get recuring problems after that. Other than that you shouldnt have any probs

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might also try calling the Audi dealer and giving them the VIN - most dealers will tell you if there are any outstanding recalls on the vehicle.

VB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info lads, next problem is :) it will start then cut out, once its running its fine, any ideas please, this needs sorting as the wife relies heavily on a car, as we are foster care's

i've tried keeping my foot on the accelerator = it still dies
i've tried not keeping my foot on the accelerator = it still dies
i've tried pumping the accelerator = it still dies

:beer: cheers in advance

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't keep your foot on the gas pedal while starting the car!
This is most probably an immobiliser fault. Does the immobiliser light come up when starting? First thing: try with the second key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yep it is an immobilizer fault we've just spoke with the previous owner nd he's said that it needs resetting, as he's had it done once, more than likely its bugered the control unit and a new one is needed, ouch

·
Registered
12 Posts
finally, i get to post!

hey golden shot, i think, as u concurred, it IS the immobilizer problem. no worries. just have it brought to the nearest audi workshop and have them change the immobilizer switch. resetting only is a temporary measure.

ya see, our audi is so sophisticated that there are two switches for ignition. one is the key switch and one immobilizer. so, u may have a working key switch, which allows u to turn the key to start the engine, but a faulty immobilizer ignition switch will detect that it s not the right key. so it sends a signal to the ECu to cut off the engine.

see.. i faced the same problem a few weeks back ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts