Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help ?
I've got an Audi A3 1.8 SE, year 1998. Pretty good condition except for the 'squeak' or 'rattle'. It appears to be coming from underneath the car, i've checked the exhaust which for the age of the car is in pretty good condition. The noise comes after changing gear but not particularly when i've changed gear and put my foot down to gain spend. More when driving in in traffic. Would really appreciate some help with this one. thanks v much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check your brake pads, back and rear. I had a similar problem, the brakes would squeek even when not braking... it occurs at relatively low speeds, like you describe, in traffic.
My rear pads had worn right down... service a week before didn't pick them up.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a seemingly identical problem, just had an mot, nothing picked up there either, also a 1.8 SE 1998, my mate has a LHD one to and his has the same noise..

·
Registered
2 Posts
leecarroll said:
Can anyone help ?
I've got an Audi A3 1.8 SE, year 1998. Pretty good condition except for the 'squeak' or 'rattle'. It appears to be coming from underneath the car, i've checked the exhaust which for the age of the car is in pretty good condition. The noise comes after changing gear but not particularly when i've changed gear and put my foot down to gain spend. More when driving in in traffic. Would really appreciate some help with this one. thanks v much.

I have a 98 A3 too and my sister has a 97, both 1.6. Both of them squeek, sounds very similar to your one. i work for a mechanic so i asked him what it might be. He said it's the rubbers on the anti rool bars. they're located on either side of the car near the wish bones. apparently it's common on them, nothing realyy to worry about but i know it can be a bit enoying!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts