Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my 2004 A8L. Need advise on what to do on telephone. Dealer tells me I need Motorola V60 phone. Telephone company tells me V60 is old technology and they don't carry it any more. Dealer says he can get one and install for $1000. What? I heard 2005 8L's will have Bluetooth technology late this year or next. My kid's friend, a computer guru, tells me I should be able to get a phone that could operate via Bluetooth. (Believe me, at age 67, I don't understand this). I can't be the first person to have this problem. What's an old buy to do???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Bluetooth technology is essencially a radio transmission from the device (phone in this case) to a receiver (car). this will allow you to use your phone thru your A8 w/o connecting any wires.

Personally, i dont know how good bluetooth in cars is going to work out. You're realer is right in a way, but wrong overall. Audi, BMW and MB have all put V60s in cars for a few years.

Keep this in mind:

1) the V60 is not old technology. the V60 is actually an awesome phone. The salesman at your cellphone store doesnt want you to buy it because its cheeper now that its been out for awile. He'd much rather have you buy a bluetooth enabled phone for $400.

2)The only reason audi/mb/bmw use the V60 almost exclusivly is because its the only modern phone with a manufacture made profesional insall kit. The kit is $150 direct. I would suggest NOT having audi install it unless you want to pay like $600. Or, have them install it, but you buy the kit from motorola yourself. This way, your dealer can only charge you the going rate for labor. Good luck

The kit you need is the V60 Professional Hands-Free Car Kit - S9703

·
Registered
1 Posts
The V60 is a pretty crappy phone. It lacks a lot of features and can be a bit clunky compared to current phones. The integration with the MMI is very good. It would have been nice to have bluetooth on the 2004 models, but we can't have everything. :) I have had a few bugs with the MMI/V60; sometimes it continually power-cycles for no reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I paid over $800 to the Audi dealership as part of the original purchase price. Should have paid more attention and less money. Constant complaints from people on the other end of the line that teh phone has an unbearable echo.

I ended up using a separate hands free Nextel telephone. Don't expect any help from Audi.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:thumbsup:
Hi BillyA8L,

Bluetooth is a very handy wireless technology. A friend of mine has it in his BMW X5 and it works superbly. Unfortunately my TT does not have the technology built in but I can get a Nokia interface that will work well.
:)
Personally if the car has it built in, then I believe this is the way to go and would spend the extra on a Bluetooth enabled phone. No damage, no wiring and a reliable technology that has been going for sometime. Bearing in mind that GSM has been around outside of the USA for years and Bluetooth technology, while gaining popularity, is not really considered that new anymore. I also use it on my PC to link to my cell phone, as well as to transfer files between other Bluetooth PC's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Billy

If you have the 2004 go with the onstar option. The phone works great from both ends. The installation fees that Audi requires is insane. THE onstar works as well and it is all through your MMI. I am very happy with it. And unless something major change I would not give them $2000 for a phone. Come on lets get real now.. it is not gold..........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have 2004 A8L with onstar and cingular/V60 phone.
Cingular won't activate phone says out of date. Can use options, call and dial with voice commands and actually call out but get cingular intecept no service.
Have heard of bluetooth module that plugs into V60 cradle and the works with bluetooth. (on BMW)
Anyone had any experience with this?
Anyone shange nav display to TV usage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you get the Bluetooth to work. I am dealing with a 2004 A8 from Naples and there seems to be some confusion over the v60 cradle part number. It's either 4E0 862 407B or 8E1 862 407B any idea which one is correct? I did get the BMW "puck" from:
Bimmernav.com Online Store

1 - 13 of 13 Posts