Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got a problem with my headlights on my 1990 Audi 80 Quattro. The sidelights and full high beam works fine but the main driving beam doesn't. The bulbs and fuses are fine so that leads me to the relays under the steering wheel.

I cannot seem to fine the correct relay as the information sticker on the underside of the dashboard is mainly in German. The only relay that stops the headlights working once they are out is called a buzzer relay!!

Is there a way of checking a relay, how would one do that?

Also I found a fuse had gone in the top of another relay, so replace it with another 10AMP. Then when I started the engine and then stopped it, the car kept on running even though the key was out of the ignition. The only time the engine stopped was when the fuse was not in the top of the relay. Any ideas?? ;)

Many Thanks,

DaveDutch

·
Registered
19 Posts
To pull the codes the engine does not need to be running. Ignition must be on. All accessories must be off. The first step is to lift the hood and open the fuse box cover. There will be a grey relay with a fuse socket on the top of it. Place the spare fuse in the socket for 5 seconds and remove it. Watch the ECS light for blink patterns. One long blink then the code will begin. A series of flashes will occur with a small pause, then another series, then a small pause, this will happen a total of four times then a long blink to signal the code is over. Mark down the number of blinks between the pauses and then check with the Codes List. To move on to another code insert the fuse in the socket for another 5 seconds then remove it. Again look for blink patterns and note them down. Code "0000", four long blinks, will signify the end of the codes list in the ECU. Once that code is displayed fully, insert the fuse in the socket for 10 seconds and remove it. If there are no codes stored the ECS light will blink "4444".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts