Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my Audi 80 1.6 SE (nice break from my previous 1990 VW Polo 1.0L!). 130,000 miles on the clock, very well maintained by the 2 prev. owners.
Now on starting the car, it immediately goes to a VERY low idle speed, maybe 200-300rpm, then generally dies. Drives fine as long as i keep a bit on the throttle, performs just as well as normal, but as soon as I let off the throttle, the revs die straight down and the engine cuts. This problem tends to cease after just a few minutes driving, and I can turn off the car and start it again with no problems, very inconsistant. Only done it so far with a hot engine. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok on the above problem, this seems to have been an isolated incident, as I have used the car fairly frequently for a couple of days since, and the problem has not re-occurred. Still, I'm dreading the time when it may, so if anyone has had similar, please post!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should check your Idle stabilzer

·
Registered
39 Posts
...and make sure that it's set to the correct no. of degrees advance. Had a similar prob with a corrado that was set to 10 deg advance and not 6.
Good luck!,
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll second the timing theory from mr Biodiesel, just had a similar problem with my 80 16V that I think was timing related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for tips! Still not occurred since that once, but my coolant gauge on the instruments is always very low, despite changing the voltage regulator (which fixed the fuel gauge problem I also had), so I'll look into the coolant temp. probe. Will update here, as this seems to be a common problem for the car. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts