Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 1995 Audi 80 E estate for 14 months, and had very few problems until a couple of months back, when it began refusing to start in damp conditions, even when weather quite warm, it will bump start sometimes, sometimes not, but when it does it needs the the revs up or it stalls. Once warm though it fires up no problem. Can anyone help ?:confused:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sounds like you have a cracked distributor cap or some of the wires are cracked and worn. Try replacing the dist cap and wires. You might aswell give her a tune-up if it's been awhile since the car has had one. Replace the cap,rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter and see if that makes a big difference. It should. Just my opinion! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems I may be barking up wrong tree.
She's been in garage for a while and mechanic, who I've known for many years has checked dis cap, rotor arm, filters and, following threads from here, cold start sensor, and cannot find fault.
Having gone over all the symptoms with him, we can only assume that the damp conditions are coincidental. The problem of not starting mostly occurs when I have less than 1/4 tank of fuel, and since this has come to light,I have kept tank at no less than 1/4 full. Now this may also be coincidental, but since then I have had her start first time every time, even in damp.
I have been so pleased with her of late, she even got t-cut and polish last weekend.
I Know I still have a problem, but I believe cursing at her only makes it worse.
Must post a photo of her soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts