Audi Forums banner

Audi 80 Window And Sunroof Fault

13882 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  McWhitey
The windows and sunroof of my Audi 80 SE sometimes fail to operate. After a few miutes they work again. I can't find any reference to a fuse in the fuse box or any relay listed either.
It seems like a relay is overheating or something... any ideas?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Hi PeterSmith,

I have what I think is the same problem. Generally, I start my car and all the lights in the driver's door for the windows are lit. It looks like they work. I touch one of them and they go out. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

In the beginning it was rarely happening. I took it to my favorite Audi mechanic who said it was a loose wire in a wiring harness. And to save me some money, he soldered it together. It worked, it seemed for a while, but in reality, the issues was happening randomly.

Now it happens all the time, so tonight I took apart the little panel underneath the steering column to have a look at the wires coming from the door. I traced them to a relay with a lot of numbers on it. The numbers I think people refer to is '363'. If I jiggled this, the window switch lights in the door go on and off. I think it is not a wire in the wiring harness, but that relay. I will call Audi tomorrow and see if they have it in stock, otherwise I will order it and put it in.

Here are the numbers for the box.

Main side:

Opposite side from prongs:
PA6-GF30 (in little letters)
363 (in really big letters)

Let me know if you want to hear more
See less See more
Yes, the relay's the faulty item. Eventually it gave up completely. Replaced it with another from a scrap yard and haven't had a problem since.

The relay is accessed by removing the parcel shelf under the steering wheel... there it is!
Thank you.

I have the shelf off already, and have been tapping the relay when the window stops working. The tapping was helping, I just wasn't sure if it was the actual relay, or the connection being a little loose. I will try to find a relay. The dealer wanted $140 for i, I will try to find it else where if possible.

Thanks again,
I was too impatient to wait until the dealer could get the part so I took releay 363 out, unclipped the housing by squeezing the sides and withdrew the insides. I could see little rust deposits (like you get when a battery has been left in to long) around some of the solder points so I brushed with a fairly stiff tooth brush and rinsed with WD40 spray.
I didn't work for two days, probably because the WD40 was still wet but works perfectly now.

I know I'm a bit late with this but thought it would help someone looking into the problem
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.