Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1991 80 w/ 5 cylinder engine is making a pretty loud ticking noise which is louder than the usual valve noise, almost clanking at times. It seemes to be coming form the vicinity of the third or 4th cylinder. It seems to make the most noise when the engine is not cold but not all the way warm. It makes the noise about 50% of the time on intitial start up. Sometimes it does it when the engine is totally hot, but often not. I just replaced all the lifters because they were found worn. The cam was healthy. I think the engine made the noise before replacing the lifters, but at that point all the valves were making more noise. Now the noise seems more pronounced, perhaps because the valves are quieter. I did a timing belt, new seals and new oil pan when I did the lifters. The care runs great and has plenty of power.

I suspect an intermittently stuck valve, but am hoping that it is something else making noise that runs off the cam.

Any experience with this type of thing?

·
Registered
74 Posts
bit of a long shot here but it may be the oil retention valve that is fitted in the oil filter housing-- this retains oil in the cam area so the tappets dont dry out completely-- but not sure if your engine would have such a system fitted?

i take it when you fitted new hydraulic tappets you checked all the free travel on the tappets

if it were an intermittent stuck valve would a compression test pick this up???

thats about all the experience i have i'm afraid

dave

1 - 2 of 2 Posts