Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
the ignition barrel on my audi 80 sport 16v manual (1991) has rolled over and died on me !
What i ask is, how do you remove the barrel ?
I have gained acces to the barrel and unplugged it, but i cant work out how to extract the barrel unit itself.
It seems to be clipped in, but i cant see how to unclip it.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
many thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Not entirely convinced its the barrel now !
I've had problems with the engine cutting out intermitantly, but this morning i came across another problem.
Parked up at the supermarket, but upon returning the car wouldnt start. Bumped it and drove home fine, but when i removed the key from the ignition the engine was still running. Steering lock still works with the key, but it doesnt seem to function apart from that.
Stalled it to stop the engine, but still have ignition lights, and all electrical power to windows, wipers, lights etc. but not able to start engine.
I am absolutely flummoxed as to what it could be. Please throw some ideas into the pot for me.
Many thanks again.

Ok, time to update !
I changed the starter switch, with alot of aggro ( i didnt want to rip out the dash just to undo two grub screws !! ) I am now left with changing the barrel. The lug that slides into the starter switch has snapped off, hence a lack of function !
Could anyone tell me how to remove and replace the barrel, i.e. what is holding the barrel in place, and how do i remove it.
If i really need to remove the dash just to get to it, then so be it, but any little shortcuts anyone might have would be greatly appriciated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts