Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've seen that Audi 80's/90's have a fairly common problem where the engine just stops. I have this problem too. Could be at any time. Didn't happen all winter but has started a gain now the weather has warmed up. Happened regularly last summer. Had idle control valve changed by garage but this didn't make any difference. I don't think the garage knew what the problem was so just tried something! This could prove expensive!!
By the way the engine stops I think it must be an electrical problem. The engine just stops, there is no run on or stuttering.
I've come across several suggestions of what to look at - fuel pump relay, ECU relay (under the steering column?). I've never done any work on this car before nor have a manual, so can anyone tell me where these are?
Other suggestions are - clean the distributor cap, the air temperature sensor, a crack in the ignition module.
If anyone can tell me where the relays are or has any other suggestions then I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,
Simon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't know if it's any help but mine does it when cornering hard and less than 1/4 tank of fuel,no warning ,no stuttering,just chop,it comes back on tune when straightening up.

It also had an episode of refusing to start and had to be towed to the garage,they checked the fuelling side as OK,then fiddled with the ignition side and made it work,GREAT! then they very apologeticaly told me "we've no idea what was wrong,or what we did to fix it"the good points were it now works again AND they didn't charge me for any work :grin: just a tow in charge.

I think the cutting out round corners is the fuel pump reserviour as it did this before when the useless main dealers fitted the wrong type of pump when I first had the car under warranty. Makes me wonder if the cup thing has fallen of the pick-up.

As for the starting then dying all I can suggest is detach all the electrical (ignition wires- one at a time mind) and make sure you have a good connection.

Ian

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's worth checking whether you have spark on the spark plugs. If you don't, then the engine might refuse to start, or might start, then die out. If this is the case, you can check the distributor and also the Hall sender. I've read of numerous engines having problems because of a faulty Hall sender.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for suggestions!
Trouble is when the engine cuts out it doesn't even turn over - no starter motor. Just a click when I turn the ignition - all the dash lights come on though.
So I can't check for a spark as there is no ignition.
I heard the wires for the hall sensor come from on the side of the distributor. This doesn't seem to be the case on mine. Is the hall sensor in the distributor itself?
Many thanks for any info you can provide.
Simon.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If the engine starter does not turn over, then it's not the Hall sender. It's something else that makes the electronic inhibit the cranking process. You should run a vag-com on the car to see what DTCs are stored.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Note I have posted the same problem on this site - no answers yet, but today took it to Audi dealer - 2 hrs testing showed nothing - fault truly intermittent. Garage foreman said the advice from audi technical was that most likely it was the 'Hall Sender' in the distributor. I'm booked in for Moday 4pm to change this item - I'll let you know if problem or no problem as time goes by - for me sudden stops can be weeks apart, but we'll see. Best I can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the Hall Sender replaced today - car running fine - lets see if it has done the trick - i'll post again in a week - best to all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI everyone - as promised - its now 10 days after having the 'hall Sendere ' replaced - no cut outs experienced so far, and i have done some fairly long trips.
i will only post on this again if it cuts out - so no news is goods news on this issue from me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I today I took my Audi Avant 80 2.0.E that had exactly the same problem, It runs off sometimes and it was always hard to start, no matter it was cold or not. The mechanic changed the engine temperature sensor (Light Blue one, next to the distributor) and the relay Nº30 and now the car runs very well. I'll let you know in a week or two how it went,

Regards,

Pablo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts