Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I posted this on the new members intro page but as yet I have no had any response. so I thought it might be worth re-posting on the Audi 80 forum.

I am trying to help my neighbor with her 1998 Audi 1.8 cabrio.

The oil level and oil pressure was ok, then it was taken for a short drive it started smoking, dumped some oil on the road. so the engine was stopped. Now the dip stick level is High and the oil pressure starts off ok (~3), the oil pressure gauge then drops (after ~2 mins)and the engine starts sounding rough (No oil circulating?). I suspect there may be a oil blockage but the high oil level on the dipstick is confusing me. I assume this goes directly into the sump.

The car has been standing for ~ 4 months only being run on the drive of 1/4 mile approx once a month.

Any advice / thoughts would be appreciated.

Alternatively She might sell spare/repairs, what is the best forum/site to sell this classic car?

·
Registered
Audi coupe b3 2.3e1990 and Audi coupe b4 2.3e 1993
8 Posts
IHK 11 Hi there! I cant be certain but it sounds like youve got too much oil in the engine. They only need 4 to 4.5 litres but when you drain the oil some can manage to stay in the engine for some reason so perhaps when the oil was changed the correct amount went in but if the old oil hadnt completely drained then the oil level may be too high causing the car to spit it out or for it to leak through various seals in and around the engine. Too much oil can be just as bad as not enough oil. If i was you i would completely drain the oil by putting an oil pan or basin underneath the sump and draining it then using a funnel put the oil back into the engine pouring approx half a litre at a time and checking the dipstick as youre filling it.oil may also be leaking through the oil filter if oil wasnt placed on the seal when replacing. I hope this helps. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts