Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I am new here :)
I have had problems throughout this winter starting my Audi in cold weather. I have just replaced the battery as it seemed to have gone flat. Despite tne new battery, I still have problems when trying to start first thing in the morning or when it has been really cold overnight. Could anyone tell me if this is a normal problem with an Audi 80 this old (1993 model), if so, is there a way to rectify it ? Could it be that I simply need to top up the anti-freeze or buy a particular brand of anti-freeze ? Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I'm new here too but I will try and help if I can.

Is you Audi 80 a diesel? If so, it probably just needs a new set of glow plugs.

With regards to petrol, it's been a fair few years since I've had one so I am a bit rusty. If I remember anything, I'll let you know!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does it sound like it's running on 3 cylinders when you first start, or is it just very reluctant? It might be worth checking that your plugs are in good condition (ie not coked up), and that the contacts on your distributor are ok. If it's not firing properly at all when you get it started, then it's possible that it's your HT leads (from the distributor to the plugs).
I must stress these are just theorys however. I see how far a can or 'Cold Start' or something similar gets you :)
Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
74 Posts
if the engine is spinning over fast enough to start the car -As Tom mentions then the first port of call would be the spark plugs- if the plugs are recently new then it could well be a injection or ignition problem-- is the injection system fitted with a cold start senser???this could be faulty-- i dont think the anti freeze would have any bearing on the cold starting of the car

if -even with the new battery fitted the engine is still turning over too slowly for the engine to fire up successfully then the charging system may have a fault -such as alternator belt too loose or weak alternater or something as simple as a bad earth or connection along the charging circuit or a short circuit causing continual battery drain

probably the worst case scenario could be low compression on the cylinders :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another possibility is the water temperature sensor for the fuel injection (or engine management) computer.

If there is a problem with this then the computer may think that the engine is warm and will not be making the mixture rich enough for a cold start. I have suffered this problem on a couple of vehicles.

Depending upon the type of sensor (high resistance for a low temperature this will work, the other way around will need a bit more fiddling) a quick diagnosis can be had by unplugging the connector to the sensor, this will make the computer think that the engine is very cold (open circuit) and make the mixture appropriately rich.

If the sensor is a low resistance for a high temperature type then a suitable resistor can be plugged into the connector to fool the comuter into thinking the engine is cold.

Good luck.

Keith.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, sorry for opening old topic, but does anyone of you know where that temerature sensor is placed? I have an 80 1,8S 1988 mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts