Audi Forums banner

At the end of my rope - PS Pump again.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  evo1couperacing 
#1 ·
Hey everybody,

I'm really at the end of my rope here. The power steering pump has been off my car for almost 2 months. I thought I had the right pump, but it ended up being just slightly wrong (1990 model I think). So I sent that one back and ordered one from Rockauto. A few days later, they called me to tell me they don't have the part that was listed. So then I decided to use their Return & Rebuild service through A1 Cardone. I sent the part off to be rebuilt on August 11th, and this afternoon I finally got an email back from Rockauto saying that they part can't be rebuilt, and that Cardone has been running behind on these things. Cardone claimed that my pump was "beyond repair." Now, I'll admit that I have no idea what's inside the pump, but I looked on 20v.org and there are rebuild instructions there and it sounds to me like there's basically just a seal that gives out now and then. What would make my pump beyond repair? It worked on and off until I reinstalled the high pressure hydraulic line (forgot to pre-fill it with Pentosin, which I think killed the pump).

So guys, do any of you have a functioning pump off of a 1991 Audi 90 quattro 20V that I could buy? Does anyone know of another place I could get this part? I was hoping to do it as cheaply as possible, with the return and rebuild being the cheapest option at about $240, but if my pump truly is "beyond repair" I'm not sure that's going to be possible elsewhere.

Thank you all for your help!

Troy

See less See more
#3 ·
Troy Pm me I have one from my late build coupe and it should be the same pump. I never pre fill the hoses I just attach the hoses to the pump...fill the res until the fluid stops going down then start the car and turn the wheel from bump stop to bump stop a number of times then recheck the fluid level and add if needed. Never had a pump go on me yet...KNOCK ON WOOD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.