Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I am new to this forum and new to the Audi world. Unfortunately, we've already encountered a few problems after buying our used Audi. We're trying to figure out the cheapest way to go about doing this, which would more then likely be me doing the work, but I need your insight.
Problems:
-Bad CV Joint on left side, so we're going to replace the entire axle assembly on both sides.
-Worn tie rod ends, so we've purchased the tie-rod ends for both sides, and I need to replace them.
-4 days after we got the car from port (I am in the military, so it had to be shipped) my wife was driving and the battery volts starting dropping, quickly! She turned everything off, but they kept dropping and then the car died. Multimeter read 11.5 for the alternator. So, we've ordered a new alternator......

My question. Does anyone know if these tasks are easy or hard?? My car is a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro 2.8L 30V.

I know that generally, replacing tie-rod ends and Axle Assembly on any other car is fairly simple in comparison. But, what about the alternator...it's really in there?!?!

Please....help if you can!!! We've been without our car for a while and my wife is starting to blame me!!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I know on the A4 the alternator is a bit of a bugger... need to remove the radiator, however i know people who have done it buy just stuggling!!..

Come on forum.... any ideas.???? . this guys going to get stung up by is wife if its not fixed soon!!!!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey...ya, the Alternator is definitely in there! I messed with it for a while and didn't manage to get anything moved.....

I am hesitant on taking it to the dealership, but wondering how much it would cost?!?!?! If all else fails, maybe I will go ahead and take it there. But....the Axle Assembly and Tie-Rod Ends. These have gotta be pretty easy??? I haven't even looked, but I don't want to mess anything up........

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wish I could help more... Try buying a Bentleys service manual for you year. They have good drawings of what you're up against. Avoid the dealer if you can and ask around for a good indi german car shop if all else fails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought and installed new aftermarket axles bothb sides on ebay for $95 plus $15 shipping. Good axles, heavier than orginal but no problem and drives even better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help, so far, everyone! YES, I too, ordered aftermarket axles from EBay for $95+$15 shipping. I wonder if we got them from the same place....EuclidForeignMotors??? Awesome Company and we highly suggest if anyone is looking for foreign parts......they are very heplful, very friendly, family owned and operated business!!!
---Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2001 A6 Avant, and had to change the front Tie Rod Ends (and everything that comes with it (e-bay). Of course did not have all the tools needed since I just moved, so I ended up in a small garage. Guy charged me $450 for labor, but did an oustanding job (he had to drop the axle including shocks)
But, yes, this is definetly you could do in your garage

wolfgang

1 - 7 of 7 Posts