Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Audi owners.

I'm almost ready for my first Audi and it's going to be an A4.
But - before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me if there are
certain traits I should be weary of - timing belts, brakes, engines etc?

Thanks.

AD.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Timing belts are an issue for any car that has them and the A4 with 1.8turbo is no exception. Factory originally scheduled replacement at 105,000 miles, but almost all Audi dealers will tell you to do it at 75,000 if it hasn't been done by the previous owner.

About $700 at the dealer. Count on doing this if youhave no service records to prove otherwise, it's cheap insurance for your motor.

If you can get all the service records, including oil changes that would also be helpful. Audi 1.8T motors have a sludge problem if you don't use synthetic oil and change every 5,000 miles. Audi usually won't warrnty the motor for sludge damage if you don't have proof of the maintenance.

Front suspension joints appear to be made of material that is susceptible to premature wear causing clunks. Audi has a recall to inspect the suspension. Audi also has a recall to check the timing belt (JK).

Good luck, I have a '99 A4 Avant 1.8T with sport suspension (16" wheels).

VB

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my first Audi 1.8 1996 in February 2005 after 17 years happy motoring with a Golf. I though:- Same manufacturer, same quality, must be a good deal"
Jeez how wrong I was!
The car had an exceptionally low mileage 53,000 and had been regularly serviced by main agent. Even the timing belt had been changed at 30,000 miles, 50,000 miles before it was due! This did not stop the tensioner disintegrating at 54,000 miles, nothing to do with the pulley but the actual device which "pulls" the roller tight to maintain tension. Must have been designed by Mattel for a Barbie car!
It turns out that the engine codes ADR, ADP, AFY, AEB, AJL, APT, APW up to July 1997 have a bad design tensioner (Pulls, you'll see what I mean) whilst from August 19197 onwards the tensioner "pushes".
Mercifully, in my case the belt stayed on the camshaft at the correct timing while I made a temporary repair with a Nylon Ty-wrap to get it home.
Now for the Real bad part. Turns out that the old belt and tensioner is no longer serviced and you have to have a complete kit including a new belt which has one more tooth. £250 sterling or I guess $500.
Not only that but you have to take the entire front off the car ; lights, grille, radiator to get at it! (Don't believe then when they say you can hang the front off of a couple of support rods)
The steering is dreadful and on right hand drive cars you have to take the engine out to adjust the rack and pinion, there is NO room in the back, I don't know why they don't call it a coupe!
The heater cannot be turned off in the summer, the coolant pump sheered its impeller and overheated the engine (common I'm told), the air mass sensor lasts only 30,000 miles (£200) and leaves you with a flat spot at any one of a range of engine speeds. The engine is harsh and noisy at speeds above 50 MPH. The accelerator cable runs out of adjustment, I daren't go on!
It's the worst car I've had in 45 years! I'd rather give away a kidney than have another Audi!
Toyota for me next time, as soon as I can find a sucker to take it off me. :crying:

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Hence why the B6 follwed... Seems to me that you have got a bad one there... they are not all like that...

The CAM belt change on the B6 is also the bumber/headlight off ... bit of a pain!!

Why cant the heater be turned off??

Which engine is it??

The Steering is no diffenernt is its a left or right hand drive...

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts