Audi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 A4 seems to be at that age that it keeps my Audi mechanic busy. Recently the air bag light came on and stayed on. I would rather not take it in if I don't have to. Was wondering if a brave sole can check of few areas without detonating the air bags. With 90K miles on the car, what's the likely culprit? The car was rear ended 6 months ago, and the bags were not deployed. The light never came on until a few months after I got it from the shop. Any help thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
ours is doing the same thing. it has over 100k but never in an accident. I was thinking that it was a sceduled maintainance thing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi guys,

Thought i might as well join in as well.....

My Airbag light has come on as well this morning, just about to hit 100k on the mileage.

Has anybody got any real tips/resolution or answer to this issue please.

Thanks
Nilz

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
haha, my car also has the same problem. i bought it with 90k and the light was on when i purchased it. i've been searching everything but unfortunally no succes. i am about to take the car to an Audi dealer and see wat the problem is b/c inspection is due this month, and i also have a check egine,and abs/brake lights going on!!!!! :(

·
Registered
470 Posts
No doubt i'll be joining the party soon. About to clock up 90k got the 'insp' on the screen now. Guess airbag is next!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Update....

Just been to see a mate with VAGCOM and he has identified that the Passenger Side Airbag is displaying a fault, i have been told to check all the wires under the seat and then go back and see if that clears the fault, so i will give that a go and keep you updated, he also said that it is more than likely that the wire has become loose or something like that under the seat, as a fault isnt going to pop up just like that.

If you guys have any updates, please advise and i will do the same.

Thanks
Nilz

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently removed my steering wheel to check on faulty horn working intermittently (see separate post – help appreciated). I had to disconnect the airbag and afterwards the light remained on. Seems the “open circuit” is logged in memory and needs to be reset. Took it to a dealer this morning who linked it to their “computer” and did the reset free of charge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
To clear the light you will need a VAG-COM, and check the wiring under the driver seat. Its pretty easy to do, if you dont mind spending the $300+ for a vag-com and have a laptop to hook it up to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What wiring is it that i am checking exactly as i have looked under the seat and can see the wires, but dont know how to disconnect them and check that they are connected up properly.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK well had a quick look last night, couldnt see any water or any type of corrosion, will try having another look later and will advise. :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by nilz18t@Mar 7 2006, 03:42 PM
Update....

Just been to see a mate with VAGCOM and he has identified that the Passenger Side Airbag is displaying a fault, i have been told to check all the wires under the seat and then go back and see if that clears the fault, so i will give that a go and keep you updated, he also said that it is more than likely that the wire has become loose or something like that under the seat, as a fault isnt going to pop up just like that.

If you guys have any updates, please advise and i will do the same.

Thanks
Nilz

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI MATE NEW TO AUDI FORUM GOT THE SAME FAULT AS YOU ON THE DRIVERS SEAT HAD THE CAR PUT ON VAGCOM THE FAULT SHOWING WAS
01217- SIDE AIRBAG IGNITER DRIVER SIDE (N199)
32-00-RESISTANCE TOO HIGH
ANY IDEARS MY CAR IS A A4 1.8 T SPORT 2000 X AUDI QUOTE ANYTHING FROM £400 TO £1000 ANY IDEARS HOW TO FIX IT NEED HELP THANX

·
Registered
76 Posts
Firstly welcome and nice name :460:

I am going to have a go this weekend and then take it round to a mate with VAGCOM, so hopefully will know more this weekend, if you are ok to wait, i will post an update on Monday if all gets sorted, so watch this space :thumbsup:

Nilz

·
Registered
76 Posts
OK no update so far, mate has gone away on a last minute break, so is back next week, will advise then....

Apologies :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same problem only I thikn I'm a little more complicated. I need to get is inspected/emissions (USA) by tomorrow and 3 different places I have taken it to cannot read my computer in the car. Does this have anything to do with my airbag light? I was told it could be that the light is on and there si a problem somewhere. I was also told that it might be the after-market stereo I have in it. Anyone heard of the stereo not allowing the emission scanner to read the cars computer?

What is the likelihood that the airbag light is causing the problem for the scanner to read my cars computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts