Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

Does anyone know the procedure for seeing the OBD error codes directly on the air-cond display of the car? I'm sure it's possible, and I have seen this written sometime ago on the net, but I can't find it anymore.
I intend to buy a VAG-COM, but not in the next few months and I really need to check that codes.
I have a 1997 A4 Avant.

Thanks,
Ovidiu

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the procedure. For my car is: Press Recirculate air button, keep pressed and press also the up arrow button (from the A/C console). You enter in diagnostic mode in this way. You can see in the temperature display something like XXc (where XX is a number from 1 to 76 for my car). With temp +/- you scroll them, and with Recirculate button enter the displayed function (to see the value). I found on the net the descriptions of the first 61 of them.
You exit the diagnostic mode by pressing again recirculate + up arrow.

Now, I still have some questions:
1) Why for example the engine RPM shows 440 at idle? Do I have to multiply by 2 that value?
2) For the 1c function, pressing Recirculate shows " .0 " to me. It should be the DTC codes. Does this 0 mean that there's no malfunction?
3) There's no misfire counter that can be displayed this way, huh?

PS: I discovered that by pressing the Recirculate + Temp+ you can switch the temperature display between C and F.

Cheers,
Ovidiu

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
AudiWorld Tech Articles

I am not very sure if the meanings didn't change in time, because some of them seem OK on my car but others display strange values (or they are changed or there are some conversion factors that have to be used in order to get common measurement units).
These being said, I think I'll have to buy anyway a VAG-COM reader in order to get some in-depth diagnostics, but for some basic functions also this procedure can be useful.

robj, if you try it, please tell me if 1C displays anything to you. Thanks.

Ovidiu

1 - 4 of 4 Posts