Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the site (and Audis in general). I picked up a 2005 A4 B6 with the 1.8L back in the winter. Love the car so far, but I recently tried the AC and the ECON mode stays on. From the research I've done it seems this can be caused by a bunch of reasons, and that a scan tool is basically the first step to figuring out more specifics as to why the AC won't kick on. I have access to an OBDII reader tool, but it will only diagnose faults that cause a check engine light. I've seen other posts refer to a VAG-COM cable/tool that can read AC fault codes as well, but a Google search for this sort of goes down the rabbit hole - some specify what cars they work with, some don't. Some don't even specify Audi...

So firstly, does anyone know what specific tool will be compatible with this generation of A4 and can read AC codes? Or have a link to one that they like/know works? Not against spending a little bit of money (within reason) if it can also read other codes for the drive train, emissions etc.

My plan in the meantime is to hook up a pressure gauge to the high/low ports to see what the static pressure is to see if I have any obvious leaks in the lines. Also double checked the fuses, both seem to be fine.

Thanks for any info you can provide!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, new to the site (and Audis in general). I picked up a 2005 A4 B6 with the 1.8L back in the winter. Love the car so far, but I recently tried the AC and the ECON mode stays on. From the research I've done it seems this can be caused by a bunch of reasons, and that a scan tool is basically the first step to figuring out more specifics as to why the AC won't kick on. I have access to an OBDII reader tool, but it will only diagnose faults that cause a check engine light. I've seen other posts refer to a VAG-COM cable/tool that can read AC fault codes as well, but a Google search for this sort of goes down the rabbit hole - some specify what cars they work with, some don't. Some don't even specify Audi...

So firstly, does anyone know what specific tool will be compatible with this generation of A4 and can read AC codes? Or have a link to one that they like/know works? Not against spending a little bit of money (within reason) if it can also read other codes for the drive train, emissions etc.

My plan in the meantime is to hook up a pressure gauge to the high/low ports to see what the static pressure is to see if I have any obvious leaks in the lines. Also double checked the fuses, both seem to be fine.

Congrats on the new car. I experienced this exact problem about a month ago and the repair was quite simple. I have an S4 but the system operates the same. Find a reputable mechanic to recharge the refrigerant in your system. The "stuck on econ" is a safety measure so you don't operate the system without proper lubrication. A professional machine will evacuate any air in the system so it can refill the refrigerant and you should be off to the races. On a side note, purchase a legit Vagcom from Ross-Tech if you intend on keeping the vehicle. It's a bit more than a regular scanner but worth every cent.

Cheers,
Garrett

1 - 2 of 2 Posts