Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
abs light stays on, the car has no switch to turn the abs off ( or if it does I never found it!) this was an intermittent fault now its on all the while from rest, where is the relay for the ABS? its a 1997 2.8 quattro avant, thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently had the same problem 01 a4 abs light constantly on. It ended up being my battery was running low. Also check out around where you would do wheel alignment adjustments and make sure everything looks normal.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i have a 98 2.8l quattro and my abs and brake light did the same thing. and is still on two this day and it's really annoying. i have yet found a way to fix it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 1999 A6 2.8- After reading many forums on this topic, this seems to be a constant w/ Audi A4 & A6's w/ ABS. The problem is a faulty ABS control module attached to the brake cylinder. Moisture finds its way into the unit and shorts the circuit board triggering the ABS/Brake lights in the dash. I have called and wrote Audi USA HQ about this and the best they will do is sell the unit at discount- The unit costs $1800-2100 US$. Audi USA was willing to sell it to me for $1500 +tax. Dealers are charging $2,500 - $2,800 to replace. Another option is to have it rebuilt by a company in Florida, USA "Auto and Truck Electronics" Auto and Truck Electronics or find a used one (I don't recommend).

I have enclosed an image of the unit!

Good Luck

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hello actually it costs about 550 dollars because you CAN get the module seperate from the hydraulic unit, its called the repair kit. Good luck

Greg
AUDI TECHNICIAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't know if this may work but on a previous car I had the ABS light would stay on if one of the rear bulbs was out or slightly dim may be worth the cost of a couple of bulbs just to check.

Cheers
Mike Splicer

·
Registered
3 Posts
If any of you have had your rear brakes serviced, there is an ABS wheel speed sensor rotor on the back of the rotor itself. If this is not put back on exactly to the tolerance it was at it will cause your ABS light to stay on permanately ( if it is pushed back on too far, because then it is too far away from the ABS sensor to pick it up) or almost close enough but not quite and then your ABS light comes on at high speeds and stays on until you turn off the car. You need to use a feeler gauge so that it is so close to the ABS sensor that the rotor still turns.

Hope this helps

Buck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts