Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently purchased an A6 (C5) 2.4 sport multitronic 2002 59k from a car supermarket and have had no other issues so far. I don't want to give them the car to look at at the moment, as my experience with intermittents is mechanics have it a couple of days and find nothing.

This morning I started the car from cold as normal and had been driving for just a couple of minutes when the ABS warning light came on, next thing all the warning indicators came on, and then I noticed the instruments all read zero - rev counter, speedo, oil temp, coolant temp, fuel, voltage - all zero. The engine had not stalled, it was still going and responded to my foot as normal (as far as I could tell.)
The next thing that happened was the air-con panel started flashing dull and normal alternately, accompanied by the fans going off an on.

I stopped, but as I was then still on quiet side roads proceded cautiously, after another couple of minutes driving like this all the instruments came back to normal. There were no further issues for the rest of the 1/2 hour journey.

The car was covered in condensation first thing this morning, so it could be a dampness thing, but any help or other user's experiences with this would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would take the car in and ask for a VAG COM report from the computer. It could be something as simple as a battery going down or something else like a problem with the charging circuit.JMO.
Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
issue resolved ? - we'll see....

Thanks for the tip, my local AUDI dealer VAG-COM'd the car [foc] and found a low voltage reading, though couldn't find the cause.

He suspects a one-off, and as the service is due in 1400 miles I'll get it rechecked then, if no further occurences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nesbitt said:
Thanks for the tip, my local AUDI dealer VAG-COM'd the car [foc] and found a low voltage reading, though couldn't find the cause.

He suspects a one-off, and as the service is due in 1400 miles I'll get it rechecked then, if no further occurences.
Hi, did you ever get this fixed - if not, drop me an email, I may be able to help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
audi resolved this - repaired alternator & new battery

Ron was almost spot on:), although the breakdown service tested the battery as fine, Audi had the car and as the problem was intermittent took a while to pinpoint but eventually identified a poor connection within the alternator, they repaired that and asked me to collect, when I got there the car wouldn't start!

Audi said the battery was faulty, despite the test result, and that charge was not being held for more than a few hours. Audi replaced the battery next day (none in stock) and the 2 resolutions solved my probs.

The alternator repair was foc mostly due to the embarrasment at Audi calling me in for a car that wouldn't start, but the battery replacement came to £250 incl labour - wish I'd changed that myself first now!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts