Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1998 A4 2.8 Quattro has been displaying some unusual symptoms. The brake work fine a driving speeds, when the car goes below about 5 mph the pedal pulsates as if I am slipping. In addition, when I am accelerating and I hit 1500 rpm it applies the ABS, hampering my acceleration. I know the Bosch 5.3 is problematic, but the ABS light is not on. Would my problems be fixed if I just replaced the ABS control module? I would appreciate any advice or ideas.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FINALLLLY someone with the same problem as me. i've been searching forever. basically my problem is the slowing down at barely any speed at all and having the brake pulsate like abs is trying to kick in on dry pavement, i have a 2000 2.8. any clue on whats going on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I know it’s not the ABS/EDL control module under the rear seat. You'll notice that if you unplug it your symptoms well stop, but your light will be on and you won’t have ABS or Quattro. My theory is that an abs sensor is either loose or malfunctioning. Sometimes when my car is going below 25 mph (The maximum speed that system will brake the spinning wheel) it will start to ABS. But, I am at school now and I haven’t had the time to look at it. Does yours do the same?

·
Registered
25 Posts
i heard about loosing quattro with the ease of a plug but i never really believed it. Mine luckily is not doing the abs problem when i accelerate at all but i rarely am under 25 mph, im really having a problem with the braking though. it seems now it does it more like everytime i apply the brakes at a slow speed. i had the abs electronic control module replaced when i bought the car because the lights were on and thats what was diagnosed as the problem but now im thinking there was a problem before that that made those lights come on and this has something to do with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my car has similar symptoms. I will be braking somewhat hard on dry pavement and the abs feels like its kicking in

·
Registered
14 Posts
The same symptom

Ends up with failed ABS system, and now I do not have the pursing break symptoms though,,, but I never know how much it's going to cost to fix abs $$$. So I bought a obd2 connector to turn it off so that I can get my car inspected, but it does not work for some reason......Give me some help if you guys know some good and reasonable obd2.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine only does this if Im going 30mph or slower. If im going faster than that or I'm braking hard it wont do that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I really need to fix this, it was a pain to drive in snow like that. I had to downshift to stop basicly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
**** went down. thats all i have to say. a wheel bearing was buzzing in the left rear along with the brake shudder and the bearing continuely got louder over the weekend and eventually BAM. wheel bearing broke...hit the brake and BAM brake shudders and another loud BAM loose braking ability and sounds like the caliper is being thrown against the inside of the wheel. slowed down with the ebrake. towed the car to the dealership (already had an appointment for today to get the problem fixed). Have yet to find out all the consequences. All i would advise is if you have this problem or you think your wheel bearing is past its due. GET IT FIXED before its too late!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting mine fixed asap. I was told its just the ABS needs to be reflashed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Exact same problem here - got a new ABS sensor installed to replace one that was damaged but problem is still there.

Car booked in on Friday to have new rear discs and rings fitted - fingers crossed that is what is needed.

How did you get on with having ABS system reflashed? did that fix your problem?

Andy

·
Registered
41 Posts
The problem with mine was the ABS pump- its very expensive to fix, 1200 for a brand new part I got a used pump for $679. My brakes work good now except they squeak a bit but I dont mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys
mi woman's 2001 A4 has the same problem, the lights and sounds etc
i did check with the VAGCOM and there was no answer from the ABS module (= its dead) :( code 18014
the new module (only the module) bought at Audi (Montreal Laval) cost me 750 dolars Canadian tax included, i'm ready to replace it, but i will leave disconnected until i can get an appointment with the Audi guys to flash the module o program it with their zillion dollar computers :huh:
but, im wondering if it can be done using VAGCOM, i would dare to try it myself but only after i'm sure about the procedures.
i hope its helpful somehow
greetings

Fern

1 - 16 of 16 Posts