Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am less than 24 hours from purchasing a 1997 Audi A4 1.8 Turbo AWD. The car has been babied. Regular servicing, synthetic oil, 97 grade gas,detailing, you name it. The car has 100, 014 miles on it. Which averages out to less than 14, 500 a year.

Here's my concern, a Audi owner told me that if the timing belt hasn't been changed by 80, 000 miles then don't buy it. I could not get Audi to confirm whether it should have been changed or not. Does anyone have a voice on this topic?

·
Registered
186 Posts
If the timing belt has not yet been changed you will absolutely have to change it as soon as you take the car. At that mileage the belt could break or more likely the tensioner will break. The end result is the same,,,,,you risk a massive engine failure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i wondered the same thing so i called audi of america, they could not tell me the service done but could tell me the dealer the car came from you may be able to find the information this way, if not just get the belt replaced as long as the price for the car is right

1 - 4 of 4 Posts