Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 quite bad rattles in my A6 2,0tdi 2006my.

One coming from around the front passenger (rhd) air vent to door handle area (could even be the glove box).

Another, only when AC is on and cold, just above the top right corner of the MMI screen.

Both noises are loud and detract from the quality of the interior. Before I give the dealers a shot at this, does anyone else have these rattles? These are usually common

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same here...

Admiral said:

One coming from around the front passenger (rhd) air vent to door handle area (could even be the glove box).

Another, only when AC is on and cold, just above the top right corner of the MMI screen.

Both noises are loud and detract from the quality of the interior. Before I give the dealers a shot at this, does anyone else have these rattles? These are usually common
One, is glove box related - if I open the it, the rattle stops.

The other one, happens to me from time to time.

JP
Lisbon, PORTUGAL

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the glove box rattle as well on my 06 3.0tdi. The rattle stopped when I opened the box. The delaer looked at it, took the glovebox out and refitted without finding the cause. They added some felt pads here and there, and the rattle seems to have stopped for the time being, although I'm a bit worried they didn't find the cause.

My car is the S Line, which has a really hard ride, and I have a couple of rattles over hard surfaces, one seems to come from the top of the drivers door window, and one from the dash somewhere.

Also, my drivers seat squeaks a bit, and although the dealership tried to fix it, they have failed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Watch out for a rattling brake pedal - my 3.0ltr TDI was driving me nuts until I accidentally hit the side of the pedal and heard the noise. The dealer said this was common on A6 Autos and replaced a bush on the pedal under warranty.

I mention this, as the rattle appears to be coming from the dash area. Try hitting the brake pedal with the side of your foot to hear it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Admiral said:

Big rattle from new A6 3.2 Avant. Metal, full width, air vent below front screen is loose(?) I won't let the dealer touch it. Needs a rubber wedge or something. Perhaps it is vibrating against the glass.

Otherwise, great. Love the CVT transmission and the S-line set up.

Regards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
billski said:
my 06 a6 sedan is quiet as a mouse, except for the throaty exhaust, which I guess most people but me like.
Overall, the A6 Avant is great. Perhaps the saloon has a better build?
Interestingly, the Handbook recommends keeping the tyre pressures at full load, irrespective of the load actually carried.

Is that the same advice for the US markets?

Regards,

Peter Lewin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a rattle from the same gloveboxy type area - will have a further poke to see if it can be fixed.

Mine is an Avant and I've noticed lot of flappy / rattly noises from the load area cover. Anyone else got this? More importantly, anyone else had it and fixed it?!

Oscar

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 07 Avant. It spent a total of around 6 weeks at the dealer in the first year to cure rattles.
The main one was a metallic knock sound coming from the passenger door/wing. Very difficult to pinpoint where the noise came from. It turned out to be a design fault which required bending some of the inner wing to avoid two parts touching when the body flexed. It is a known issue with an Audi procedure (TPL) available.
The other is a rattle from the rear cover which is still there even after the cover was initially modified as per TPL and subsequently replaced when the fix failed.
Overall the car is great but I had a Citroen that didn't rattle as much as this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 Avant. It spent a total of around 6 weeks at the dealer in the first year to cure rattles.
The other is a rattle from the rear cover which is still there even after the cover was initially modified as per TPL and subsequently replaced when the fix failed.
Thanks Targa32 - is the load cover fix something I could do myself or is this a dealer fix? If I can do it can you point me to the instructions, please?

Many thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I don't know what the fix was. All I know is that they tried an Audi recommended fix and then replaced it when that didn't work.
It rattles just as much now though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts