Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using Castrol Syntec oil? If so I'm a little confused on what weight to use in my 1999 A6q 2.8L 90000 miles 5w-30, 5w-40, 10w-40, 5w-50, etc
Thanks Guys :gunsmilie:

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does depent on the ambient temperature your car will generally operate at, as Im in Northern Australia, and with the hot temps, I would put heavier oils like 10-50 or 15-50 into my A6. I am assuming you dont have your manual, but if you do there is a chart in the D-I-Y section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi...

I was told that it also depends on whether you are on a fixed or variable service interval. If you are on a varibale service, then you need to use a very thin oil as the ECU takes readings from a laser whcih is passed through the oil sump to monitor the condition of the oil and help determine when the next service is due.

Mines a 2001 2.4v6 and I was recommended Castrol SLX LongLife (which has now changed to a slightly different name over here in the UK) - this is a 0W 30 grade oil.

Mine also drinks oil quite a bit (every 2000 miles or so, the light comes on and I put another litre in) but I'm told by the dealer that this is normal for this grade of oil.

Hope that helps...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts