Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just installed a new Gateway 500 Ipod interface into an A6 C6. Took about 1.5 hours as it was my first. But here are the results.
Ipod/Nano/USB/Aux interface etc

MMI interface

The interface gives you Ipod/USB storage devices and aux inputs for thirdparty devices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
looks great! - does it do video?

Fantastic that someone has installed the gateway!
Is it all that its cracked up to be? ie. are there limits on playlists? Does it allow you to play video clips (from a video ipod)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Craigyb.

Are there any installation instructions? Are they clear?

It seems I'm going to buy one of these... and it seems that iPod is unnecessary as USB navigation seems to be pretty simple, at least based on my perception (I've read the manual).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Having read up on this on the Denison site, I think it enables the colour MMI screen to be used to play DVDs/Playstation etc., if they were connected. Am I understanding this correctly...or is there only an AV-out to additional (rear seat) screens?

If it allows DVDs to be played through the MMI Screen, even if only when stationary (which would make sense safety-wise), then I absolutely have to get one of these kits!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have misunderstood, it does not play video through the HU at all, it is for rear screens only.

PAH said:
Having read up on this on the Denison site, I think it enables the colour MMI screen to be used to play DVDs/Playstation etc., if they were connected. Am I understanding this correctly...or is there only an AV-out to additional (rear seat) screens?

If it allows DVDs to be played through the MMI Screen, even if only when stationary (which would make sense safety-wise), then I absolutely have to get one of these kits!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine works. I have two entertainment zones in my car. However, it wasnt cheap.

I bought the GNET video head unit with rear camera G-NET Audi A6 - Audi A8 - Audi Q7 TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Nav System. / I have an additional DVD unit in the glove box that runs the dual headrest monitors for my kids, I have a dension gateway 500 w/ video out to run my ipod. I can run DVDs or IPOD video in the front or rear and I can run them dual zone. I have my IPOD that runs over my dension MOST system and the DVD that runs via FM and wireless headsets (rear)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Installed my Gateway 500 on tuesday, only took 40mins or so, its a very easy unit to install with the fiber optics and what not.

In all, its a pretty good unit, i've dumped quiet a few dir's and about 4gb of music on the portable harddrive, and it has no limitations so far.

For a 3rd party system, im impressed. no more waiting on the changer to select disks :) Very good upgrade to the C6 audi, esp with the BOSE system :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
playlists

hi - with the gateway 500 - are you limited to the number of playlists? IE: on other vehicles, like my ML, you can only have 6 playlists, one for each disk.. is it the same with the C6?

thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installation steps?

Hi Craigyb, wesleyburns,

Just ordered a Gateway 500 for my A6 (fed up waiting for the AMI retrofit) and was wondering if you could tell me a few of the main steps you took to install the kit?

I've read on another forum that you need to remove the CD Changer and then the glove box - is this correct? If so, is it easy enough to do?

Can't wait for it to be delivered! Sick of using an FM transmitter and it just looks bad with the cables trailing everywhere - not to mention dangerous when trying to change a track on the ipod whilst driving!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

New to the forum, but have been using it for information and so bought dension 500 for my A6 (56plate) with full MMI.

I have just installed it, but have had problems with getting power into it. Can you use the CD changer power, or is there a better source?

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey,

also new here.. Since the new iphone is coming i was wondering if there is a way to get some sort of line in/aux. I'm not really interested in getting full intregation with the MMI(got basic plus), i'd settle for getting the sound hooked up.

Is the gateway the only way to get this done?

cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the swift response!

Got any links for a detailed guide for hooking the gateway up? I'd like to see if it's doable for muppets like me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to the info on here, i have got the power sorted on the denison and its fully installed.

The actual install is very easy, takes about 2hrs.

Simply
1 - Take Glove box out (5 bolts)
2 - Mount denison on glove box behind CD Changer
3 - Install fibre optics (Instructions are very clear on how to do this)
4 - Thread wire into glove box (USB, Ipod, and Aux)(There is already a hole but you may need to make it a bit bigger)
5 - Plug them into the dension
6 - Connect power to the CD Changer. (Red/blue wire is +ve)
7 - Turn on and test. The power must be supplied to the denison otherwise the MMI will not load up.
8 - The MMI then treats the Denison as a 6 disc CD Changer, where you can select the source (Ipod GI, Ipod UI, USB, Aux)
9 - Selecting GI enables you to control the ipod through the MMI selecting albums, artists etc as though you had a huge CD Changer! Its fantastic, well worth it.
10 - Selecting UI enables you to control the Ipod normally with sound playing out through the speakers. It doesnt display song info on the MMI though.

Overall i am very pleased with the system, alot of work has obviously been put into the construction and the user interface making it very simple to install and use.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts