Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a very low mileage 2001 A6 4.2. It has less than 30,000 miles, and is in great condition. Has all the extras, etc.

Having never owned an Audi, are they reliable especially long term? I want great reliability, and I dont want to spend a lot on repairs ( I don't mind spending on maintenance......I over maintain my vehicles)

Suggestions, comments, thoguths , please :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
I love mine. Great daily driver. Look into a good warranty. I tore my CV boots this winter and my warranty covered the boots + both axles. If something does go wrong these cars can be expensive to fix. But then again; what car isn't?
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
the 4.2s are VERY reliable... unlike most other audi engines, the 4.2s use a timing CHAIN rather than a timing belt. this chain never has to be replaced (under normal conditions) ... you'd have to worry about replacing the timing belt around 80-90,000 miles with a 2.8 or 2.7T.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2000 A6 4.2 definately has a timing belt..... I just replaced it. But I think my year was the last of the ART engine in the A6...

·
Registered
20 Posts
While the chain may never have to be replaced, the parts still have to be serviced at certain inteval, not 100% sure when though.
Still better options then timing belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
only allroads had timing chains

I have a 2001 4.2 and my brother has a 2002 4.2 sport and they both have been very reliable.
I drive the piss out of mine, 110+ on nearly a daily basis and love that quattro cornering =]

If you're looking at any audi (except allroad) make sure you know the service records regarding the timing belt. If you don't, get prepared to dump the 600+ bux for a do it yourself kit or get raped at a mechanic for the service, $2500 or more. The job really isn't that hard, these cars were engineered with service in mind. I just did mine at 71k and it was very ready to be replaced. Audi claims a much higher service interval for timing belts but I wouldn't go a mile above 70k on one. Over all it took about 6 hours and I was constantly amazed how well engineered car is, it's a good way to get to know your car too.
Of course, with the kit you get a water pump, accessory belt, cam seals etc.

bhb399mm is very right, I have friends with S4's and 2.7t's. They always seemed to be worried about something or ripping them apart. When I bought this car I wanted something that I could beat the holy crap out of and not worry about it. This is, by far, the best car I have ever owned. It has taken way more punishment that my 540i or the M3 before that.

Just maintain it and don't buy a car that wasn't maintained, treat it right and it'll treat you right.

FYI - The chipped 2.7t's will have you up to about 60mph, but thats where the 4.2's really start getting angry and moving like freight trains. A very noticeable difference when you drive either one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts