Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm in need of help here. My wife's A6 left her stranded on a motorway last night, the AA man seemed to think there was a problem with the fuel pump, but I don't know where this is, or if I can replace it.

I'm not a complete idiot, so should be able to cope with replacing parts if thats what the problem is. Does it sound likely to any of you? And if so, how do I check/replace it?

The symptoms are that the engine runs, (though ratles even worse than normally) and then after some time just stops. When it was on the back of the truck, lowered to drive it off, it wouldn't start which makes me think it probably is fuel, (gravity and all that), then once lowered onto road started briefly.

So, how many fuel pumps are there? Where are they? and how do I get to them.

Thanks in anticipation of a wonderfully descriptive response.

Badger.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Hi badgerjon, welcome to the forum:)
Which year is your A6 ? Do you have access to VAG-COM to plug your car into as it should show on there an errror code for the fault.Its possible it could be something else rather than the fuel pump so might be worth checking along those lines first before you go for a new pump (if you can find it) lol.
Let us know how you get on.
Cheer T-sport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the car is on the driveway, and no easy way to get it to the garage. Was hoping to find out locations of the pumps.

I believe the low pressure one is under the rear seat, but I'm not sure where to look for the high pressure one.

Once I've found that and the fuel filter was thinking of changing that and then taking pipes off pumps to see if I'm getting fuel through with the ignition on.

Fuel filter should be a service item, so someone must know where that is? main pump is presumably in the engine bay, but these modern black box engine bays confuse me, and I only know what a good old fashioned mechanical one looks like. :confused:

Hoping for help.....

Badger

p.s. thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, it turns out to be an air leak on the fuel filter. Now the car runs for as long as I want, but it's lumpy as hell. Sounds like a diesel truck, not a car. I'm wondering if I now have to bleed the fuel system, but I'm not sure how to do this. Does anyone know if the car should bleed the air out of the fuel system itself? Or do I have to find a bleeding vent?

Almost sorted, but still in need of help. (probably always will be... )

Jon.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
surley once the line of fuel has passed throught the engine the pressure should be restored with the fitting of a new filter..

How ever diesel's dont like to be ran dry so thats could be the probelm.......

GUYS... surely you diesel guess know the anwser to this!!

Rickt

·
Registered
6 Posts
badgerjon said:
OK, it did just need bleeding, and now thats done all is well...... For now.
Hi
reading one of your posts dated a couple of years ago, you had problems with an air leak in fuel filter and then had to bleed the fuel system.

I am about to change the fuel filter on my (my wife's really) Audi 2.5 TDI year 2000.
Is there anything I need to do when changing the filter and how exactly did you bleed the fuel system of air?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts