Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies for another post but the problem seems to be worsening. There is still alot of smoke coming from my exhaust when I rev over 2750 rpm. I have discover that it is usually preceeded by the engine running a bit rough and not idling properly. The ride is juddery to start but then runs more smoothly but chucks out loads of smoke above approx 2750 rpm. It only happens (but in abundance) at this point. Please please can someone help? It has been suggested that it maybe the Turbo, what does anybody think about that? And how much would replacement cost?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could be a bad coil pack or trouble with the timing / ignition. I hope ti's not the head gasket. A VAG cOM scan can pick these things up. Remember to ask for a copy of the scan when you get it done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happen to my 2002 A6 2.7T. I live in Minnesota. It was my crankcase ventilation system (a valve at the back of the engine along with the corregated vacuum hoses that vent vapors out of the engine). It's the same as the PVC in domestic cars. Over time the hoses get gunked up with oil and this, combined with moisture and cold temperatures, freeze up and block off the system causing a pressurized condition instead of a vacuum. This leads to oil being pushed into the turbos and the intake and subsequently into the engine and burned. The result is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I really thought my engine was toast but $500 later (new valve and hoses), the car is good as new. Check with your dealer or a trusted import mechanic. Not a lot of people know about this but luckily I found a mechanic who had seen this before. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The oil going through the intake and into cylinders also caused my engine to run rough and miss at times which sounds like your car is experiencing as well. We'll cross our fingers that your problem and repair is as simple and cheap as mine was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts