Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today a problem has manifested itself on my Audi A6 1.8 . It has been fine until today after a fairly sustained cold snap I noticed that when accelerating past approx 2800/3000 (especially in 2nd) the exhaust was belowing out smoke. I stop the car and found that the same problem occured when the car is revved in neutral.

It might also be worth mentioning that the it hasn't been idleing properly when first started but gradually this problem disappears after a short time running.

Could anyone shed any light on the situation as I am a relative novice. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Does the smoke dissapear/ die down once the car has been running for a while and warmed up to normal temperature ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A touch. But not enough to really matter. The engine ticks over ok once it's been running for a while and once it's warm. Smoke only spits out when I accelerate over approx 2800 rev's . When it is stationary and not rev there is very little to no smoke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it starts from cold it can (not always) not idle at the right revs (ie 1-1.2 revs) and engine seems as though it may stall as if not enough petrol is burning. Also when this happens I have to up the revs in order to pull off but this is far less common an occurance. Smoke nearly always emits when accelerating over approx 2800 revs. It is relative to the speed i'm doing only revs. If I accelerate quickly in 2nd particularly there is a huge amount of smoke but in the higher gears when revs are lower there is little to no smoke.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Might be worth getting the car into a independant garage or Audi dealer and get it plugged in to VAG-COM as they should pick up on any bad engine running with a fault code read out...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This my first audi and not had it long, so excuse my ignorance but will a VAG COM pick up hardware faults? or just setting slips?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
It should pick up all faults that will affect the running of the car (bad idling etc)

It could be one of the sensors is faulty or maybe coil packs so its your best bet to have it plugged in to identify the source of the problem ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had the same exact thing happen to my 2002 A6 2.7T. I live in Minnesota. It was my crankcase ventilation system (a valve at the back of the engine along with the corregated vacuum hoses that vent vapors out of the engine). It's the same as the PVC in domestic cars. Over time the hoses get gunked up with oil and this, combined with moisture and cold temperatures, freeze up and block off the system causing a pressurized condition instead of a vacuum. This leads to oil being pushed into the turbos and the intake and subsequently into the engine and burned. The result is a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust pipes. I really thought my engine was toast but $500 later (new valve and hoses), the car is good as new. Check with your dealer or a trusted import mechanic. Not a lot of people know about this but luckily I found a mechanic who had seen this before. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts