Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying an audi. Which would be a better choice, a 1999 A4 with about 75,000 miles or a 2000 S4 with about 100,000 miles for a couple thousand more? I really do want speed, and I know that S4s are fast, and that A4s are not supposed to be very fast. I do also want a car which is reliable, which is the only reason why I am cautious about buying the S4. Will it still be good if it has 100,000 miles? A dealer is selling it, not private party. Both cars look very clean. Thanks.

Also, these audis do have quite high mileage. Is there anything I should look for in particular if I end up test driving them? I've read in other posts that the timing belt and water pump should be changed or something? How much does this cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
those are really high miles is the A4 a 1.8T or 2.8
i would stay away from them
when driving the turbo cars see if there are any loud winning noises or hard blowing
and see if all the maintaince has been done and see when the timing belt was replaced casue this can be a serious thing

the belts should have been done at 60000miles

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
In my opinion the miles are not too high for the year of car...

keep your eye of the turbo to make sure is ok and ensure a cam

for example...my B6 is now 4 years old, and i have put 100,000 miles onto and drives like it did on day one!

Which A4 you been looking at?? the T or the NA?

·
Registered
186 Posts
There are several details you have not provided,,,, engine type, transmission (stick vs. automatic). One thing is for sure, the higher performance S4 will have higher maintenance costs. These cars aren't designed for economy, they are designed for performance. Replacement parts (motor, suspension, etc,,) will also be more expensive. What kind of warranty is the dealer offering you? You need to get alot of info on the servoce history of both cars before maikng a decision as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, first of all, thanks for all the fast replies. The A4 is a 1.8T and is manual transmission. Obviously the S4 is manual as well. The dealer says that they have all the service records on the S4, so I e-mailed them asking if the timing belt or anything has been replaced, or what all has been done so far. I'll let you know when I get a reply. Also, how much would you expect to pay for an S4 with this many miles? It is in excellent condition and is being sold from a dealer. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i payed 12,500 for my audi a4 2.8L, when it had about 65,000mi and spent about 3500 on maintnence (front control arms,water pump,timing belt,window switch and motor) but i won't pay more than 13,000 for an S4 with 100k. they are really great cars but their maintnence are pricy!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. If they have been maintained well, are S4s reliable? I've heard of things going wrong with the turbos and such. Not sure though. Are A4s a lot more reliable? Also, I know that A4s can be made quite fast. What kind of 0-60 times can I expect from a manual A4, maybe 99 or 2000 or something, with a chip and a turbo upgrade from ATP or someone? Isn't the 0-60 stock on a 1.8T around 7 or 8 seconds? Would doing these upgrades affect the reliability of the car? Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
just keeping it maintained isnt enough, most likely the S4 was driven very hard, and that really kills the life on the car and really beats on the turbos.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 1.8T motor A4 is very slow (comparatively speaking). If you want performance go with the S4. Both cars are expensive to maintain or repair. Go to www.audiworld.com to see the performance specs for each year/model/engine combination.

The 1.8T motor can be chipped and get a turbo upgrade to get to the same performance as a stock S4 at a cost of about $3,000-$4,000 - about the difference in price of a good/excellent 1.8T car and an average S4. Note the difference in condition since good S4's are hard to find and much more expensive.

I love my '99 avant with the 1.8T motor, although not a car that will ever win a drag race. Cornering is a different story. The light motor makes the A4 handle really well and with a good suspension driving is great fun (I have the optional factory sport suspension package.)

Not all S4's have been driven hard, but as mentioned by other posters - you must get the complete service history - documented in writing with parts listed. Timing belts and related front of motor issues are expensive on both motors. The 1.8T motors absolutely require the oil to be changed regularly according to Audi's maintenance schedule and use of synthetic oil to prevent sludge build up. Written documentation of oil changes is required for warranty coverage of sludge build up.

Good luck.

VB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts