Audi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to the Audi owner’s scene, and thoroughly enjoying my new purchase. :rolleyes:

I have A4 2.5 TDI, registered in December 2003. I’ve only had the car since December 2004, and don’t know why I left it so long to get one. B)

Here is where you all sigh, and say don’t do it. But I also own a Caravan, and need to have a tow bar fitted. On my last car, I had detachable swan neck bar, which was totally unseen when not in use and would like a similar unit fitted to the A4.

From searching the various UK suppliers, it seems that the detachable units available for the A4 need to the bumper to be cut in some way. However, from what I have seen, non show what actually needs to be cut away. On my old car, the cut was behind/underneath the bumper so was again, unseen – unless you knelt down and looked under the car.

Do any of you know of a suitable bar, and have any idea of the cutting that is required. If possible, could someone post some photos to show the cuts?

Thanks in advance

Dean

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
how much is one of these tow bars? might be worth investing in a small trailer on front axle tow to keep the miles off your car

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello Dean,

I've got an A4 2.5 V6 TDi Quattro Sport
(Which has been chipped - come onto that later)

I fitted a towbar to the car last summer - I tow a 17 foot speedboat with an unbraked trailer.

I couldn't afford a Brinck / swan neck bar, so i opt'ed for a cheapie from ebay
I found a towbar shop selling them for £80 delivered.
I fitted it myself (inc single electrics) & i had to cut a bit out the bottom part of the
bumper. It's on the horizontal part which bends round & tucks under - the cut does not appear on the facing / vertical part.
In other words - when you go to sell the car & take the towbar off - the salesman will not notice it unless he goes down on all 4's to get his suit dirty!!

Back to the chip - get it done - i know you own a caravan & you probably don't drive over 60mph (Thats even without the Caravan!)
Upsolute.com - done mine. The torque increase is incredible - 273lb ft stock to about 310 approx. Big difference - also drive nice & slow it's more efficient - better mpg....
(so they say - I can't confirm this, as i accelerate quite hard)

Hope this info has been of use
Cheers
David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a Swan neck fitted to my A4, not detachable.

They removed the whole of the aluminium inner bumper and replaced it.

No cutting to bumper or anywhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
info

:confused: Hi, i have just bought a second hand Audi detatchable towbar of a guy but I have no idea how the tow ball comes off the bar does anyone have anything that they can help me with?

Thanks,

Simon:)

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a descrition of how to do this on P 256/7 of the B7owner's manual under "Towing a Trailer". Maybe the B6 handbook has the same or similar.

Best Regards

john from Staffs

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a description of how to do this on P 256/7 of the B7 owner's manual under "Towing a Trailer". Maybe the B6 handbook has the same or similar.

Best Regards

john from Staffs

·
Registered
26 Posts
john from Staffs said:
There is a description of how to do this on P 256/7 of the B7 owner's manual under "Towing a Trailer". Maybe the B6 handbook has the same or similar.

Best Regards

john from Staffs
Many Thanks John :)

I have looked in the book and it is there, I need the key to get it off.

I did not get one with the Bar so I gotta ring Audi today and see if they can get one,

Many Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Les 51 said:
Did you not ring the owner and see if he has one ?
I bought it off E##Y and it did say that he did not have a key with it I just assumed it was to lock the bar on to stop anyone taking it off not me being able to take it off:mad:

but hey I am happy I suppose i got it for a good price,

Regards,

Simon

·
Registered
77 Posts
If it's the same towbar as I have on my car (ALKO) There are 2 keys joined together. What you have to do is turn the key to the green then pull the knob out and turn it the rest of the wayround to let it come out. I'm very impressed with mine it goes in and out very easily, did you get the socket too? Mine slides up under the bumper too so you wouldn't know at all there was a towbar on it. Though I did have to buy an adaptor for it because it has a european socket on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Les 51 said:
If it's the same towbar as I have on my car (ALKO) There are 2 keys joined together. What you have to do is turn the key to the green then pull the knob out and turn it the rest of the wayround to let it come out. I'm very impressed with mine it goes in and out very easily, did you get the socket too? Mine slides up under the bumper too so you wouldn't know at all there was a towbar on it. Though I did have to buy an adaptor for it because it has a european socket on it.
I did not get any electrics with it:mad:

The bracket is on the bar that folds away under the bumper where the socket should fit.

I will be buying an electric kit next week I understand I must buy the plug in type at a cost of around £110 off E##Y as everyone says I need this special kit.

will the socket in this kit fold under the bumper do you know?

Wher did you buy your socket from?

Mnay Thanks,

Simon:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts