Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is taking 3-4 seconds before it starts ,it use to start as soon as the key were turned,but now takes longer

ive been told "glow plugs" wouldnt these be for when the engine is cold?
my car does it if engine is cold or hot,it could be running i turn it off and re-start straight away,same problem

new fuel/air filters around 800 miles ago. Any idea's? A4 tdi (b6) 130bhp AWX Engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hi,

I Have exaclty the same problem as you - my 03plate 1.9tdi will turn over for about 3-4 seconds before firing up - it has never let me down, but it never starts like it should do.

Glow plugs is a possabilty - will just give it ago and put some in.

also my exhaust sounds noisy but i cant find it blowing anywere, it almost sounds as if there is no air filter in its box?

Any ideas would be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
try checking all pipes going to your airfilter box,also make sure the filter box is sealing/sitting as it should. let me know how ya go with the glow plugs. I have some 17" sport alloys/tyres 300 quid. (if ya know of any one)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Will do - picking them up today and if i get time i will fit em as well today. Yep i am going to double check the air box. Also i have a set of Audi wheels 16inch, i cant describe them very well but they come as standered most audis and i suppose they look like a clover leaf?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no probs! Personally i dont think its the glow plugs,as the car starts first turn of the key in the morning even when its freeeezing! its after that when theres problems,as long as i start in the morning and drive around the block,the problems there,so basically when engine is hot/cold or just warm!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
No - i put the glow plugs in today 15min job, and its still the same but it was worth a shot - not sure about yours but mine starts like a bag of spanners in a morning, but during the day 85% of the time it take 2-3 seconds to start, the engine turns over but it wont fire untill the last second, a bit like fuel is leaking back into the tank and it taking a while to pull through - then on the other 15% it fires up like a good un - its been into Audi for summot else but the computer showed no fault codes which makes it hard. I also found one of the air pipes of on the air filter, sound a bit better now.

Have you any ideas at all? or anyone out there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
check the plastic bit that has a pipe either side,it fits on top of your diesel/fuel filter,pull the clip off the top and check the 2 seals,you'll see the seals when you pull the plastic bit off the filter,also at bottom of filter check water drain is tight(incase yours is sucking in air) changed all mine,still no good,but we may not have the same things that need doin!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top